new to me meat slicer..... how do you clean yours?????

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
i just bought a new to me meat slicer last night.... it is used i paid 350$$$ for it and felt like it was a good price.... at least i hope it was.... how do you clean your's???? i want to give it a good cleaning.... is it good to remove blade and sharpen it with a good fine flat file?????

here are a few pics..... it appears at the top that there are some sort of stones under the aluminum cover.... are they for sharpening

Jqp9gFil.jpg

C2JN23nl.jpg

GU1TOC9l.jpg

The guide plates remove with a thumb-screw as will the carry tray . Put them into the dishwasher.

The rest I carefully wipe down with soapy water and a sponge to remove any food residue, both front and back. Then I spay the surfaces with a sanitizer (steramine or other), Including the parts from the dishwasher, let sit for a minute, and wipe dry with a clean service/bar towel.

Reassemble and cover until ready for the next use.

The answer to your second question is Yes, it is a sharpening stone. Use only when needed or you will be buying new blades much more often than necessary.

I have an older model Berkel, 808 model I believe. Take it apart and wash in sink. Squirt down the body with a good cleanser. Mine came from a restaurant and I'm certain they never cleaned it while in use. But it cleaned up nicely. Find the model and serial numbers on it and search online for an owners manual. The stones are for sharpening. Mine only came with one stone, so I have never sharpened it. It did come with two blades. I'm sure I need to sharpen it. I just need to send off for a couple of stones.

It will change your life versus a knife.

Robert

thx guys for the replies I will disassemble and give it a good cleaning..... will simple green or anything like that work.... also there is one place that says oil.... what is this for.... what ABOUT FOOD GRADE SILICON

thx guys for the replies I will disassemble and give it a good cleaning..... will simple green or anything like that work.... also there is one place that says oil.... what is this for.... what ABOUT FOOD GRADE SILICON

You can use food grade lubricant on the moving parts if needed, but they are highly polished and the guides are nylon, so they do not need lubricating unless gunk is allowed to build-up.

Never used simple green, I would stick with a kitchen soap, and a sanitizer. If you don't have a sanitizer available, a cap full of bleach to a gallon of water will work for the final spray and wipe down.

Food grade silicone will work. Light weigth mineral oil as well. DO NOT use cooking oil. It will gum up and create unmovable parts.

I restore hobarts and sometimes have to take a torch to the slides when people use cooking oil.

All of the above is very good advice.

Make/buy a cover for it so you can keep it as clean.

Nice buy!

Berkel is a very good commercial brand slicer. I just bought one off craigs list myself and bargained the guy down to $350 from $500. As Nickelmore state all the above is good advice. Be very very careful when handling the blade, they are extremely sharp.

Nice piece Paul. You are going to have fun with that. I just got a used Berkel 919E a few weeks ago. Have already used it to slice up some homemade belly bacon, peameal bacon and Canadian bacon. Works great. Got 8lbs of beef corning right now to make pastrami with. Can't wait to be able to slice that up nice and thin for sandwiches.

I wouldn't recommend putting any piece of that slicer in a dishwasher. Aluminum and dish washing detergent just don't get along well. I'll take my Hobart apart after use and handwash all the parts that I can take off the slicer. Wipe out all the meat crumbs on the bottom plate of the slicer then wipe down with commercial antiseptic wipes. If the blade is especially gummy, I turn on the slicer, and with a handful of the wipes, let the rotating knife do the work while I hold the wipes on the blade. On the gauge plate that is not removable, I wipe that down with wipes as well. Oh, and I've never been cut doing it this way, guess it's because I got butcher's cutting gloves on

I wouldn't recommend putting any piece of that slicer in a dishwasher. Aluminum and dish washing detergent just don't get along well. I'll take my Hobart apart after use and handwash all the parts that I can take off the slicer. Wipe out all the meat crumbs on the bottom plate of the slicer then wipe down with commercial antiseptic wipes. If the blade is especially gummy, I turn on the slicer, and with a handful of the wipes, let the rotating knife do the work while I hold the wipes on the blade. On the gauge plate that is not removable, I wipe that down with wipes as well. Oh, and I've never been cut doing it this way, guess it's because I got butcher's cutting gloves on
I wouldn't do that. I've seen butcher gloves caught in equipment, plus they can be cut through.
It's never fun looking for body parts to send to the hospital.

#1 UNPLUG BEFORE CLEANING!!!!

The only time I cut myself on mine was when I was cleaning it! (it was unplugged).
DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN. It smells bad and could transfer to your food.

FARKIN' THINGS are heavy, no??? :)

Thx to all of you who replied.... you guys have the experience I do not..... we have one at the family farm but my brother is the owner and user of it.... I will be careful for sure the blade has a small very film of rust on it.... no one answered this one question.... can I take a small flat file and sharpen the blade.... a fine file??? It might not need it at all

Thx to all of you who replied.... you guys have the experience I do not..... we have one at the family farm but my brother is the owner and user of it.... I will be careful for sure the blade has a small very film of rust on it.... no one answered this one question.... can I take a small flat file and sharpen the blade.... a fine file??? It might not need it at all
You'd just dull it. The stones are for sharpening.

I have that same slicer. meatprocessingproducts.com is a good source for parts if you need any. I bought a replacement blade from them.

Back