new to me meat slicer..... how do you clean yours?????

Running a hard stale crusty roll through the slicer might remove the thin rust film, and it will also help test the sharpness of the blade.

Thx to all of you who replied.... you guys have the experience I do not..... we have one at the family farm but my brother is the owner and user of it.... I will be careful for sure the blade has a small very film of rust on it.... no one answered this one question.... can I take a small flat file and sharpen the blade.... a fine file??? It might not need it at all

I have used an Oil stone on one I revitalized after years of abuse
I wouldn't use a file though unless you sharpen sabres. :becky:

sorry for all the questions... and i really appreciate the replies..... as far as the stones go
it appears that i adjust them myself... is that correct??? they are not to touch the blade at all times i'm sure.... is this an adjustment i make??? again sorry for the silly questions

sorry for all the questions... and i really appreciate the replies..... as far as the stones go
it appears that i adjust them myself... is that correct??? they are not to touch the blade at all times i'm sure.... is this an adjustment i make??? again sorry for the silly questions
There are instructions in the manual on how to use the stones. Here is one example for MODELS 823E-PLUS, 825E-PLUS, 825A-PLUS, 827E-PLUS, 827A-PLUS & 829E-PLUS

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/documents/manual/berkel/berkel-829e-plus-owner-manual.pdf

Plus, there are videos.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sha...4czfAhWK2YMKHZjsDIcQ_AUIECgD&biw=1366&bih=632

They do not touch the blades at all times. On mine there is an unlock (release) button that I press, and then I gently push the stones down toward the blades to make light contact with the blade.

The process of engaging the stones to the blade varies by manufacturer and model.

You can find a youtube video for just about anything, probably even your model of slicer.

Paul,

The sharpener on a Berkel is normally stored 180* from the sharpening position. In your photo which I copied below, it is in the storage position.

C2JN23nl.jpg

Do the following with the motor OFF. It's sort of hard to see in your photograph, but on the back of the sharpener assembly there is a smaller red knob. If you loosen that knob the sharpener assembly should slide upward. By upward, I mean in line with the flat of the blade which is sort of a 45* angle to the table the slicer is sitting on. You can then rotate it 180* so that the sharpening stones are visible in the front of the slicer (the stones have no cover when in the usage position - the storage position is with the metal covering them like in your first photo above - you can see the open stones in the 2nd photo above - you want to flip that open stone area to the front of the slicer for sharpening). Tighten the red knob to lock it in place before sharpening.

Jqp9gFil.jpg

With the sharpener in the usage position and locked down (red knob tightened), turn the motor ON. Then you push lightly on the silver button (after flipping) of the slicer - you want to sharpen the beveled side of the blade first. Should not take a lot of pressure and the motor needs to be running. Then after releasing the beveled side silver button you want to push the flat side silver button to de-burr the flat side of the blade. Again a very light touch is all that's needed as you are just taking that slight burr down to a razor edge.

When done, shut the motor OFF again, loosen the red knob on the back and flip the sharpening assembly back into the storage/normal position. Your stones should now be covered on the front of the slicer like in your first photo.

And done.....

A light touch is all that should be needed. If the blade is badly nicked, it may need to be replaced as the stones are for final dressing more than anything. They are not made to correct major abuse, just touch up the sharpening in normal usage. Always be very careful near the blade as it can cut you badly even when the motor is off.

Last edited:
Paul,

The sharpener on a Berkel is normally stored 180* from the sharpening position. In your photo which I copied below, it is in the storage position.

C2JN23nl.jpg

Do the following with the motor OFF. It's sort of hard to see in your photograph, but on the back of the sharpener assembly there is a smaller red knob. If you loosen that knob the sharpener assembly should slide upward. By upward, I mean in line with the flat of the blade which is sort of a 45* angle to the table the slicer is sitting on. You can then rotate it 180* so that the sharpening stones are visible in the front of the slicer (the stones have no cover when in the usage position - the storage position is with the metal covering them like in your first photo above - you can see the open stones in the 2nd photo above - you want to flip that open stone area to the front of the slicer for sharpening). Tighten the red knob to lock it in place before sharpening.

Jqp9gFil.jpg

With the sharpener in the usage position and locked down (red knob tightened), turn the motor ON. Then you push lightly on the silver button (after flipping) of the slicer - you want to sharpen the beveled side of the blade first. Should not take a lot of pressure and the motor needs to be running. Then after releasing the beveled side silver button you want to push the flat side silver button to de-burr the flat side of the blade. Again a very light touch is all that's needed as you are just taking that slight burr down to a razor edge.

When done, shut the motor OFF again, loosen the red knob on the back and flip the sharpening assembly back into the storage/normal position. Your stones should now be covered on the front of the slicer like in your first photo.

And done.....

A light touch is all that should be needed. If the blade is badly nicked, it may need to be replaced as the stones are for final dressing more than anything. They are not made to correct major abuse, just touch up the sharpening in normal usage. Always be very careful near the blade as it can cut you badly even when the motor is off.

Thx very good info... the blade is fine I think.... just a slight rust ring around the edge

My suggestion for lubricant is Tri-Flow food safe synthetic grease. I've used this in 10+ Kitchenaid mixers I have regreased in the past. What I've read is that the synthetic grease won't break down and harden overtime. This way you won't have to turn on your slicer and run it once a week to keep everything lubricated. It's not necessarily cheap for a tube of it but it's worth it in my opinion.

Well, the "looking for body parts" comment brought back memories.

Back in the '60's, I worked at a large party house just outside of Rochester. As a teenager, I was always watching the waitresses, instead of what I was supposed to watch....one night I was slicing polish sausage, about 6 sticks at a time, and was not paying attention to the slicer, or the sausage. Suddenly, the hand that I was catching the sliced sausage with was wet. I looked down and saw that it was covered with blood. Not realizing what had just happened, I yelled to the cook that something was wrong with the sausage, and when I turned, I realized that the blood was coming from where the tip of my right thumb used to be.

The good news is that both the thumb and I were taken to the hospital, where we were rejoined. The bad news was that the boss was mad at me because he lost both me, and the 3rd cook, as he drove me to the hospital that night.

Well, the "looking for body parts" comment brought back memories.

Back in the '60's, I worked at a large party house just outside of Rochester. As a teenager, I was always watching the waitresses, instead of what I was supposed to watch....one night I was slicing polish sausage, about 6 sticks at a time, and was not paying attention to the slicer, or the sausage. Suddenly, the hand that I was catching the sliced sausage with was wet. I looked down and saw that it was covered with blood. Not realizing what had just happened, I yelled to the cook that something was wrong with the sausage, and when I turned, I realized that the blood was coming from where the tip of my right thumb used to be.

The good news is that both the thumb and I were taken to the hospital, where we were rejoined. The bad news was that the boss was mad at me because he lost both me, and the 3rd cook, as he drove me to the hospital that night.

At least it was a clean cut. Gloves and spinning machinery, it's more of a tube of toothpaste sort of thing.

Back