Offset firebox ?

levi27123

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can you run the offset burning clean smoke with out the firebox grate that separate the ash

I think you are asking if it is ok to burn wood in the firebox without the wood being elevated off the bottom. If so, then I would say it can be done but at some point the ash will start to put out the fire. It is best to let the ash fall below the grate so your fire burns clean and hot.

If I understand what you are asking, you mean running a stick burner without the coal grate? You might be able to, but not for long. As the ash builds up, it would limit the oxygen to the fire. No oxygen, no fire...

Maybe I am mistaken or wrong.

It's pretty important to have good airflow through your fire. Eliminating airflow from underneath the fire would result in low pit temps and dirty smoke as wood splits begin to smolder on top of a heap of ash.
Not only should you use a fire grate, you should also make sure that it is high enough for good airflow and that the intake dampers are in a position to deliver air to the underside of the fire grate as well as over the top.:wink:

I was just wondering cause I see the old school Texas bbq joint and franklins didn't use grates

I was just wondering cause I see the old school Texas bbq joint and franklins didn't use grates
Yeah, those are massive fireboxes and the pit masters are loading LOGS into them, that's a different situation from tending a small, hot fire in OK Joe!:wink:
I do remember seeing Aaron Franklin shovel a load of hot coals into a small offset with no fire grate and then pile about three good sized splits on top of them in one of his videos but I would NOT recommend doing this. I'm quite certain that he ended up with fire maintenance issues during his cook.:grin:

Last edited:
they are round fireboxes they use the logs as grates.. Putting the logs horizontal in the FB and they clean out the ashes while cooking..

Back