Crap!!! I've got a ton of mold!

ThePerfectBeard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I thought I was cleaning out my smoker the right way. Basically treated it like a grill. I haven't used it in a month or so, opened it up and it's covered in mold. What's the best way to get rid of this so I can smoke next weekend? OR is it too late? :mad2:

When you say clean things out the right way i hope that doesn't include using water because that would lead to the problem you're trying to prevent.

When you say clean things out the right way i hope that doesn't include using water because that would lead to the problem you're trying to prevent.

Ya no water so I didn't think I would have this issue. I was just worried that if I Try and scorch it, it still might effect the food later.

Car Wash -Bleach - Hot Fire - Reseason - BBQ

What smoker is it?

I went up to Ok and stayed with friends a cpl weeks ago and they hadn't used the built in outdoor island gasser since New Years when they had a grease fire and put it out with a Chemical Fire Extinguisher. 2 Cans of Oven Cleaner and a Power Washer Wash Down and 2 hr Hot Burn latter and I was cooking Brats n Dogs n Hamburgers. I also borrowed an Ok Joe Offset that had been sitting 6 months and it had 2" of Grease in bottom of cook chamber with 1/2' of mold on top. we loaded it on trailer and on wayto where I was staying we hit the carwash and ran about $4 worth thru it- then I gave it a bleach soaking - then rinsed and lit it up and smoked 2 briskets n 3 racks of ribs.

Harbor Freight big torch and scrape it out...then more fire.

Thanks guys. It's a WSM. I think I'm going to remove the bowl and burn it as hot as I can with the grates all at the bottom.

Spray it down with bleach wait about 15 minutes rinse with water
the fire it up and re season it

Have had that happen in my WSM. Do you have a pressure washer? It'll work.

Not sure if my reasoning is sound or not but that is why I light mine up every now and again and let it roll for a couple hours even if I do not have anything to toss on it. I have had my UDS for almost a year now and no mold yet..... knock on wood. My UDS and my BPS drums get fired up at least every 2 weeks if not more.

Your Moma should have taught you to clean up after yourself:p

If you can't get you're smoker up to a real high temp get a corn burner torch and get you're flame on.

Back