A drum by any other name....

Pyrotech

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Pit Barrel cooker or UDS... Whats the difference other than one is premade, and has some accessory's that come standard the other you make yourself.

So what is the real difference if any? I would really be curious to hear from those who have cooked on both styles.

Uh oh you just unleashed The PBC vs uds war again. I did that once. Just wait for it.

Uh oh you just unleashed The PBC vs uds war again. I did that once. Just wait for it.

kinda like kicking a hornets nest...

IF the PBC is really better, then there should be someone who has done some side by side testing and can say WHY and HOW they got to there conclusion.

Ones a drum smoker with a fancy name
The other is a drum smoker with an ugly name

If you have the equipment, skills, time, and motivation to build your own drum, I say go for it; I think there's a special satisfaction to be had when cooking on something that you created. For the rest of us, the cheapest (cheapest in cost, not quality!) alternative is the PBC. They're well made and easy to use.

If you have the equipment, skills, time, and motivation to build your own drum, I say go for it; I think there's a special satisfaction to be had when cooking on something that you created. For the rest of us, the cheapest alternative is the PBC. They're well made and easy to use.
Actually that's not the cheapest alternative.. BPS kit, even a caveman can do it.

Let me preface this by saying that I only have a UDS...but I've looked at the other. I think that most PBC's will cook similarly, where as, no two UDS' s are built the same and there are a lot of variables. That said, the PBC will give you less hassles from the first cook and one must learn their UDS. Nothing wrong with either, but I'm getting ready to build my second UDS because I want/need another cooker. This one will be different from my first, and there isn't anything wrong with that one.

The UDS is better, there I said it! :shock: better yet, check out the crock pot thread seems to me it's the new better replacement for the PBC

The PBC is 30 gallon and made to be non adjustable - preset- but can be made adjustable, comes with no Thermo or Difusser but both can be added. PBC comes with the idea of hanging meat be its primary style but also had a rack.the PBC uses holes around the top of side for exhaust so you can't snuff out the fire as it comes - but that could be accomplished with magnets. A PBC can be turned into more of a UDS and a UDS can be made to hang meat like a PBC. I do not have a PBC but amsure it's a Great Cooker or Smoker as well as a UDS - which I do Have. If I didn't want to build a UDS Id order a PBC.

Smitty makes a good comparison above, I like the fact that I can use 2 racks in my uds, as well as move my firebasket up to the bottom rack and sear. Basically I like the UDS as it is more customizable.

74100-grandpa-simpson.gif

Back