Asphalt back yard & cement block smoker

Tyme

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey y'all, new to the forums. Thanks for having me. I have a quick question. I'm gonna be building a cement block whole hog smoker at the new house. The problem is the last owner broke up the house into 2 apartments and paved most of the back yard to allow for additional parking. I did some research and found the flash point of asphalt is 900 degrees fahrenheit. Any thoughts on building on top of the asphalt?

It's going to be sand with firebrick on top for the floor of the fire box and sand w/red brick on top for the floor of smoke box. moving day is middle of May, i'll put some pictures up when this things done; I have the plans all layed out and a Home Depot wish list all saved. Just wondering if I should rent a jackhammer and lay concrete or if being on the asphalt will be alright. I have a big grassy front and side yards too but I want this sucker out back since the kitchen is off the back of the house.

Last edited:
Tyme, dont do it on the asphalt, your bricks will heat up and melt into asphalt. Plus the fly ash in the asphalt will eventually burn out and turn to dust. Asphalt has some very bad things in it, they put warnings right on the tickets the driver gets from the plant.

A caterer in Western NY (Chiavetta's) that does fundraisers for organizations. They set down a sheet of 1/4 steel and builds a cinder block pit to cook on in Church / Fire House parking lots. They cook for 8 hours and there is no damage to the asphalt parking lot. Sometimes the pits are 16 feet long with coals all day long....

I personally have no experience, but I was always amazed that there was no damage to our Church's parking lot...

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to landscape out a 10'x10' section with fill dirt then a concrete pad. I'll have my own little barbeque island out back

A caterer in Western NY (Chiavetta's) that does fundraisers for organizations. They set down a sheet of 1/4 steel and builds a cinder block pit to cook on in Church / Fire House parking lots. They cook for 8 hours and there is no damage to the asphalt parking lot. Sometimes the pits are 16 feet long with coals all day long....

I personally have no experience, but I was always amazed that there was no damage to our Church's parking lot...

Indeed they do, they just did a fundraiser at the corner of my street. Guess I never thought about the heat and the black top, but I love Chiavetta's chicken!!!

Indeed they do, they just did a fundraiser at the corner of my street. Guess I never thought about the heat and the black top, but I love Chiavetta's chicken!!!

At the corner of your street? Wow how lucky can you be? I'd be there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.... LOL

I'm thankful they sell Chiavetta's Chicken Marinade here at Wegman's. It's not exactly the same as they cook, but it's close enough to enjoy it... I just saw last week that our Walmart now sells it too. Wegman's is the larger 64 size and much cheaper..

I remember eating my first Chiavetta's BBQ Chicken in 1960, now they have multiple locations and are running fundraisers everywhere..

At the corner of your street? Wow how lucky can you be? I'd be there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.... LOL

I'm thankful they sell Chiavetta's Chicken Marinade here at Wegman's. It's not exactly the same as they cook, but it's close enough to enjoy it... I just saw last week that our Walmart now sells it too. Wegman's is the larger 64 size and much cheaper..

I remember eating my first Chiavetta's BBQ Chicken in 1960, now they have multiple locations and are running fundraisers everywhere..

We have a fire hall at the end of our street that does drive thru Chiavettas dinners for a fund raiser a couple times a year. Problem is, it's ALWAYS sold out by the time I get out of work and get there.

I just bought another bottle too, it's one of the few things I always have on hand.

Back