time to build it

kotaman77571

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I finally got a trailer to go with my 6' x 36" pipe to build a trailer bbq pit. I am looking for suggestions on design and set up now as I can't picture it yet. I do want to make at least double pull out racks in the smoker. I am interested in making the firebox insulated. I have a double kitchen sink I'd like to add on it and maybe a second smaller pit for hotter temps when cooking chicken and a direct heart small pit. My dad is a welder and I'm a decent quality welder as well. I have access to cutting torch, mig welding machine and other misc shop tools. The trailer I got was for carrying a tractor and brush-hog but the "axles" are not the traditional with springs so my other question/concern is will I need to convert this to tandem spring axles or leave as is? The weight should not be a problem but wondering if bouncing will be. I also want to add tubing to create a frame and make a cover over the top. I am open to ideas of a walk on or a walk up to style trailer. I will add pics of the trailer when the site allows me to. Trailer dimensions are 86" wide (fender to fender) and 210" long from tongue to end. The inside/usable length is 154" and 65 1/2" wide. The fenders are just over 6' in length for a reference when pics are allowed.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
James

trailer

trailer pictures

Attachments

• trailer-1.jpg
    trailer-1.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 109
  • trailer-2.jpg
    trailer-2.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 109
  • trailer-3.jpg
    trailer-3.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 108
The first thing I would do is take a look at the bearings and re-pack them. That trailer looks like it has had some pretty heavy use. I'll post a picture or two of my rig when I get to a real computer just for reference but keep in ming a 36" smoker with a properly sized firebox with be heavy, try to keep they weight on center line.

trailer will handle the weight but if it is off center I would imagine it would pull funny

Back