Burger contest

padge31

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My 7 year old wants to enter in a hamburger contest this spring. He is so excited to do it. I have been thinking about what kind of burger should he do, does anyone have a good recipe he could try.

Thanks

Eric

Are there any rules that would restrict the type of burger? Somewhere I have a recipe that used to some on bottles of Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce for a Blues Hog Pork Burger that is fantastic. We also make chicken burgers with spinach that are great, but I'm not sure if either of those would be acceptable.

I would be cautious doing anything but beef. You don't want jr to worry about being beheaded by whatever Obama refuses to call it this week if offered to a non pork eater.

Haven't tried this yet, but it looks interesting:

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/ernest-hemingways-hamburger-recipe
Papa's Favorite Wild West Hamburger

In 2014 Ernest Hemingway’s hamburger recipe resurfaced at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston. The maximalist patty, which first appeared in our June/July 2014 issue with Helen Rosner's story "A Writer's Beef," calls for minced carrot and tomato, cheddar cheese, grated apple, capers, India relish, and a brace of spices, all mixed directly into the beef. The result is juicy and vibrant, its many constituent parts melding into a single, intensely savory whole.

Ingredients

• 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 2 oz. sliced ham, minced
  • ⅓ cup dry red or white wine
  • ¼ cup grated cheddar
  • 2 tbsp. capers, drained
  • 2 tbsp. grated tart apple
  • 1 tbsp. minced parsley
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1½ tsp. ground sage
  • 1½ tsp. India relish
  • ½ tsp. Beau Monde seasoning
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced garlic, minced
  • 2 small scallions, minced
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 plum tomato, cored, peeled, and grated
  • ½ small carrot, grated
  • ½ small yellow onion, grated
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp. canola oil
  • ​Hamburger buns, lettuce, sliced tomato and onion, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise, for serving

Instructions

Mix ingredients, except for oil, buns, and condiments, in a bowl; form into four 6-oz. patties. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties, flipping once, until cooked to desired doneness, 8–10 minutes for medium rare. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.

go for the classic bacon and cheese burger, but sub some fancy cheese like Baldersons white cheddar then add a piece of swiss.

easy for the lad to make and yummy enough to get noticed by the contest judges

I like hamburger mixed with onion formed into patties then covered liberally with Wild Willy's Number One Derful Rub. I think you can find the rub recipe out in the interwebs. Easy to make and tasty.

Haven't tried this yet, but it looks interesting:

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/ernest-hemingways-hamburger-recipe
Papa's Favorite Wild West Hamburger

In 2014 Ernest Hemingway’s hamburger recipe resurfaced at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston. The maximalist patty, which first appeared in our June/July 2014 issue with Helen Rosner's story "A Writer's Beef," calls for minced carrot and tomato, cheddar cheese, grated apple, capers, India relish, and a brace of spices, all mixed directly into the beef. The result is juicy and vibrant, its many constituent parts melding into a single, intensely savory whole.

Ingredients

• 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 2 oz. sliced ham, minced
  • ⅓ cup dry red or white wine
  • ¼ cup grated cheddar
  • 2 tbsp. capers, drained
  • 2 tbsp. grated tart apple
  • 1 tbsp. minced parsley
  • 1 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1½ tsp. ground sage
  • 1½ tsp. India relish
  • ½ tsp. Beau Monde seasoning
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced garlic, minced
  • 2 small scallions, minced
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 plum tomato, cored, peeled, and grated
  • ½ small carrot, grated
  • ½ small yellow onion, grated
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp. canola oil
  • ​Hamburger buns, lettuce, sliced tomato and onion, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise, for serving

Instructions

Mix ingredients, except for oil, buns, and condiments, in a bowl; form into four 6-oz. patties. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties, flipping once, until cooked to desired doneness, 8–10 minutes for medium rare. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.

I have a version of this from a 1966 edition of Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking. Article written by Mary Hemingway.
The ingredient list is slightly different, however it looks like the result would be the same.
We used to do these a lot when my kids were young. It was their absolute favorite burger.
The recipe looks fussy, but as I remember it goes together quite easily.
NOTE: for all you young'ns Mary was Pappa Hemingway's wife.
ETA: If anyone is interested, I also have a knock-off recipe for Beau Monde seasoning mix.

I vote for the KISS method.

80% lean
S&P
Sprinkle of garlic powder

Make a good looking patty, grill with care, make it look pretty with the traditional toppings, and let the charcol flavor speak for itself.

80% lean
S&P

Make a good looking patty, grill with care, make it look pretty with the traditional toppings, and let the charcol flavor speak for itself.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I just had a burger yesterday that reminded me of my childhood. Dad always made me & my sister grilled peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. (Think grilled cheese, but pb&j). A local eatery has a PB&J burger - 1/2 lb burger, 2 crispy bacon strips on pretzel bun with pb&j on the crown of the roll. DEELISH. Takes a grown up burger, and adds a bit of childhood to it. Perfect for a 7 year old.

I made these last year and they were a smash.
2 parts bison, 1 part Jimmy Dean sausage, teriaki marinade to moisten.

80% lean
S&P

This but . . .

To make it unique make it a two-pound elongated patty. Then use a loaf of French Bread for the bun. That will grab attention like crazy. :becky::clap2::laugh:

It's a kids contest for crying out loud. Let's not complicate things! Let the natural beef flavor shine through, and as has been said "salt, pepper and a little garlic (minced not salt), garnish for appearance and let the boy have some fun!

I'm all for the KISS method for a hamburger to be ideal as it doesn't fill you up so much, and not too much salt as that just makes you thirsty and want to drink more. I'd suggest a light breakfast beforehand, and nothing for at least 5 hours before the contest. Sometimes people fast completely, but this doesn't work for me. I take it there are different age categories because I can't imagine that a 7-year-old can eat that many hamburgers. With teenagers, it's all about speed because they never get filled up. When I was 14, I watched my buddy Bobby Miller go through 14 burgers (3 1/2 pounds of meat) before they made him stop and told him he already won. He went home and ate dinner an hour later. I don't think he ever told his parents.

I'm thinking how are the burgers being judged?
Each Cut into 4 pieces? seems unfair.
Or MULTIPLE BURGERS / judges? Seems unfair.
I might work my way backward from these questions.
You DO want to WIN, RIGHT?

I may be tarred and feathered for calling this a burger, as it is a little more like meatloaf, but whenever I make them people rave about them and kids would probably love them.

2 lb ground chuck
1/4 sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed
1 egg
1 package of Lipton onion mushroom soup mix
Garlic salt and pepper to taste

Mix them all together and throw them on the grill. They are excellent.

Myron Mixon has a recipe with dry ranch dressing mix. Very tasty and not too complicated. I can't find it right this moment, but it might be worth looking into.

Back