Spring break- its time to cook.

TropicDad

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Got up this morning it was 36 outside! Whoa! I was going to do a brake job on my car today but I'm not working outside in that frigid air, high today is only 57, (guys and gals up north now laughing at wimpy Floridian!) so I decided to just bbq instead.

So I put on my winter clothes, long sleeve t shirt and socks with my sanuks of course :biggrin1:, and go start up the Rec Tec. Too cold to feed wood to the Lang today.

f081e62e-1fcf-4bc5-836d-d02911dbc6e8_zpsasz9hzqk.jpg

Picked up a butt and a small brisket the other day, gave them both the SPOG treatment and the butt also got some Kosmos.

dcb4e028-d412-49c2-85d6-c0e4a0f90669_zpsc1svvyox.jpg

c62a6056-fd4d-403c-8089-7bb0fedcadfd_zpsfxeccoxb.jpg

bc33adad-c79e-4653-82b5-ff0163b76d4a_zpsfqol0hki.jpg

Got the temp to 300, and now we let the magic happen.

c0db410d-1666-42c2-ad0e-d930a5b2318e_zpsawoun7jf.jpg

7d79e850-957b-41aa-998c-9072d27ed5ee_zpsy9gqcwyw.jpg

More to come...

On a side note, I cooked up some eggs afterward, must be my lucky day, 4 double yokes, never seen that before.

bb7d1933-abdd-475c-8fa2-c9123265ee20_zpslyrphagc.jpg

That's too damn cold to be busting knuckles! I like plan b better. I've never seen 1 double yoke before.

It's a balmy 51 up here in the Panhandle right now, I'm waiting for it to hit the high 50's before I go on my bike ride. :wink:

Damn, based off those eggs, I'd go get a lottery ticket...

36*? That is almost low and slow bbq. When is it going to get cold? :wacko:

I have spring break all next week. Plan on BBQ at least once a day. Not sure if the honey-do, or the maintenance list, or the kids at home will allow it, but that is the plan.

I pulled the brisket off to wrap, I usually do when I get the color I like to see. Its been on about 5 hours and its a little brisket, I think about 8 lbs.

ced0a926-2689-47a3-8572-e70590d7846f_zpsqnreiapn.jpg

f31b1221-ad50-44e6-935a-22ec2702cb0d_zps5ig2ngxx.jpg

The weather is doing crazy things here in Ga this week. It was 21 this morning and it will be 52 later today. Every day is a yo-yo for the rest of the week and I'm ready for that crap to stop.
Random question for you: paper wrapping vs foil? Is there a flavor difference or is there another reason to go with one over the other? (I am new and have just never thought to ask. I don't mean to hijack.)

Just my preference, paper allows some air/ smoke to get in and steam out, I use foil on ribs when I want to seal tight so the steam stays in to make the meat tender.

Just my preference, paper allows some air/ smoke to get in and steam out, I use foil on ribs when I want to seal tight so the steam stays in to make the meat tender.

Well that's good to know. Thanks!
Now I'll have to add yet another thing to my ever growing BBQ/Smoking shopping list: butcher paper. LOL

Brisket looks good btw.

Looking great! Nice way to spend the day too... :grin:
My youngest hens lay double yolkers. Must have been a carton of "large" eggs?

Thanks Jeanie! Yes, the eggs were jumbo size, never seen eggs that big.

Well that's good to know. Thanks!
Now I'll have to add yet another thing to my ever growing BBQ/Smoking shopping list: butcher paper. LOL

Brisket looks good btw.

I use non wax butcher paper, got it at Restaurant Depot in Jax if you're in southern Ga.

Geez! Supposed to be 58*F here in central Iowa today. Beautiful here.

From our girls I've had 2 double yolks and a single but the odds for 4 out of 4 having double yolks must be very small. You must have some good Karma today.

I forgot that I had piece of pork loin left over from earlier in the week when I made pork medallions with mushroom sauce, good stuff. I dusted it with some Kosmos and put it on the pit. I pulled it at 148 degrees IT @ the center. Let rest about 10 minutes. Sliced thin, it was a nice pig candy treat!

Life is good.

287992e3-8265-4869-846a-e3dfdb4b932d_zpsmnlflwxs.jpg

Took the pork butt off, the temp was about 205 average until the bone was loose. It probed like butter. Had to pick it up with a large spatula since the bone end separated and the rest was tender. Its resting in the cooler, the brisket needs some more time.
On the pick the left side is the bone end, I must have put it bottom up on the tray which is why its a different color. Hey its beer thirty, I'm on spring break!

IMG_0703_zpsogurp8gz.jpg

Please, send your weather and your lang up north! I'd gladly utilize both :mrgreen:

That butt looks great!

Looks great Andy! We've cooled down today to 82* here and it's perfect weather for some q but I'm working. :roll:

Here's the final shots, I'm very happy with the results, meat was tender and flavorful. My plating skills are lacking but you get the idea. I would like to thank my friends who helped this afternoon, Negra Modelo, red super fast Thermopen, and of course my chihuahua Tiki!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• bbq1.jpg
    bbq1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 32
  • bbq3.jpg
    bbq3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 32
  • bbq4.jpg
    bbq4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 32
  • bbq_tiki.jpg