SmoBot campaign starts today.

Just a reminder that the SmoBot project campaign starts today on Kickstarter.

If you get in early you can save a few bucks.

An interesting approach to temperature control.

Thanks for mentioning this!

It officially began 5 minutes ago. Fun stuff.

https://goo.gl/clWSJQ

Thanks in advance to anyone who has a look at the project.

Eric

We're almost 24 hours in, and just over 20% funded.. Thanks to everyone in advance for having a look at the project. Kickstarter is "all or nothing," so if we don't get to 100%, the project doesn't get funded. I'm biting my nails here! :icon_shy

Eric, is this strictly for Kamado's or do you plan to adapt to other smokers? Thanks.

What a great concept! I don't have any of those cookers though... Looks like a solid design I am sure y'all will do great.

I backed this. I hate using my Auber PID on the kamado. Once the temp falls the fan exaserbates the issue by blowing more and more cold air into the egg causing the temp to drop more until the coals start raging and recover then temp overshoots.

I have done everything to try and remedy the auber issue, choked off the fan, choked off the vents. I am hoping this is a much more elegant solution.

Eric, is this strictly for Kamado's or do you plan to adapt to other smokers? Thanks.

There's nothing in the current design that would prohibit various adapters to be made for use on other grills but only the SmoBot folks can say whether they will be pursuing that themselves.

For some grills it may be pretty easy to cobble up your own adapter for their own grill. Should be pretty simple to make an adapter for something like the Weber Smokey Mountains or Weber Kettles.

Hey there - thanks for your question.

Right now, we only have a design completed that fits kamados.
However, we're working on schemes to adapt to other products, such as weber smoky mountain. A friend did indeed adapt smobot to a weber kettle, and it controlled it very nicely. I have to admit, that I was actually surprised by that result. Shoot me a message with your email address if you'd like to see the data.

Also, I made a custom damper for a friend with a Weber Summit Charcoal. That isn't yet ready for "prime time" but it will be eventually.
Let me know of any further thoughts or questions you have.

Thanks again.
Eric

I backed this. I hate using my Auber PID on the kamado. Once the temp falls the fan exaserbates the issue by blowing more and more cold air into the egg causing the temp to drop more until the coals start raging and recover then temp overshoots.

I have done everything to try and remedy the auber issue, choked off the fan, choked off the vents. I am hoping this is a much more elegant solution.

Wow, thanks for backing the project! We won't let you down (unless we don't get funded..).

Issues such as what you describe are the sort of thing that we would work with you to fix, if it were SMOBOT you were dealing with. We scrutinize the data that comes in from peoples cooks, study it, and fold improvements into the software based on our findings. Then, your control unit software will update over WiFi and you'd see the effect of the improvement on your device. That's one of the great perks about WiFi/cloud connectivity.

Thanks again!!

Eric

Hey there - thanks for your question.

Right now, we only have a design completed that fits kamados.
However, we're working on schemes to adapt to other products, such as weber smoky mountain. A friend did indeed adapt smobot to a weber kettle, and it controlled it very nicely. I have to admit, that I was actually surprised by that result. Shoot me a message with your email address if you'd like to see the data.

Also, I made a custom damper for a friend with a Weber Summit Charcoal. That isn't yet ready for "prime time" but it will be eventually.
Let me know of any further thoughts or questions you have.

Thanks again.
Eric
Cool. I can't back because I don't own a Kamado. But I would most definitely be interested in purchasing/funding an adaption for WSM. I assume if the Kettle version worked, the WSM probably will too.

Cool. I can't back because I don't own a Kamado. But I would most definitely be interested in purchasing/funding an adaption for WSM. I assume if the Kettle version worked, the WSM probably will too.

Sounds great, and thank you very much for your interest. I'd say for the moment, we'd greatly appreciate it if you could back us by simply telling people this is in-work. If you could post on blogs, forums, etc. would be wonderful.

If the project gets funded, I think it's likely that a solution for the WSM will be available this Fall..

Kind regards,
Eric

@mcdeadstein - Thank you for backing!! Your support and confidence is greatly appreciated.

I'm curious - Does that Auber controller have an open-lid detection feature?

I received an excellent set of questions via PM:
"I have a couple questions regarding the SmoBot. I currently have a Kamado Joe Big Joe. I had a XL BGE in the past and used a [controller brand redacted] to maintain temps. The only thing I did not like is that once it hit temp, the fan rarely kicked on and created a stale smoke environment. It appears your device depends on the natural draft of the cooker and only uses the top vent for control. Is that correct? Does the SmoBot ever go fully closed if there is a temp overshoot, say on a really windy day? How open do you keep the bottom vent generally speaking? Also, have you done any testing on how low or how high of a temp the SmoBot can maintain? "

This was my (long) answer:

I usually set the inlet damper about 1/3 to 1/2 open. If a person is interested in a more opened exhaust, then one could set the inlet damper to a smaller inlet, and the controller would converge on a more-opened exhaust damper setting.

The thing with ceramic kamados, is that the temperature really is a pretty direct function of airflow rate for a given condition. Of course, as the system changes throughout a cook, that relationship changes.

But, my point is, that you can't separate air exchange from operating temperature. So, Kamados will tend to have humid air in them and a low throughput of fresh air all the time, as you're probably aware. The nice thing about smobot relative to the blower setups is that, like you said, the blowers usually "pulse" the flow (not all of them, but several of them). Smobot will find the steady continuous airflow rate that achieves the desired temperature.

But, my opinion aside, I'm comfortable stating that there isn't an issue with bitter yucky food coming off the grill using smobot. We've had way too many serious, and even competition BBQ guys, test the Beta versions for more than a year now - and no complaints.

Yes, there could be moments where the damper is fully-closed if there's an overshoot or something, but if you don't like that, I could always modify the software to enforce a minimum "open-ness" at all times. That's the cool thing about this project, is that our firmware updates that will occur over WiFi will allow us to evolve the control algorithm according to the continued feedback and preferences of the users.

Regarding temperature range - In the neighborhood of 500F it can get a little wobbly, because the charcoal wants to flip/flop between actual flames, and just glowing embers. I haven't yet done any algorithm optimization for operation there, but it really doesn't do too bad.

FYI - Because there's an apparent demand for a SMOBOT version for the Akorn, and because we see that the adaptation is simple (with the help of a new mechanically-inclined friend who owns one), we've gone ahead and added an Akorn-specific SMOBOT to the kickstarter, to be delivered in August. Just a simple modification is needed to our existing damper design, so we're confident we'll have it ready.

Is this waterproof?

The damper and servo are impervious to weather. The control box is not weatherproof but it is easy to put in a ziploc bag or small plastic container.

I use those disposable plastic containers for my grill thermos and the like to protect them from rain.

Back