Steak au Poivre

Norm

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We had a blizzard in Iowa so instead of doing this on the weber my grandma's cast iron pan got the call. Some friends of mine raise pure breed angus beef and the last one I got from them was a heifer. Hard to get as steer's finish faster but the lack of testosterone really makes for a better beef.

i-nNbdtLG-XL.jpg

Couple of tenderloins, mushrooms and shallots prepped and ready. 1st thing is to sear the steaks in the CI.

i-Rz7BfmG-XL.jpg

Then set to the side and cook down the mushrooms and shallots in a red wine. At the end I flame it with some cognac.

i-JVDZf8t-XL.jpg

Some heavy cream is added and cooked down until thickened.

i-4fMcssD-XL.jpg

Add back in the meat and cook on low until it hits 125 degrees.

i-tSngBJf-XL.jpg

Not bad for a guy cooking and drinking after midnight! :becky:

Is that in your house? That's quite a stove for a house. Geez. Steaks look good, love that cast iron searing.

Firstly, great looking cook. I LOVE au poivre! I usually put a ton of black pepper in mine as well.

Secondly, I couldn't agree more on the heifer! A buddy raises beef and they lost a heifer (broken legs from being mounted) so they had to put her down. She wasn't up to market weight and she was only pasture raised, they hadn't started finishing her out yet.

The meat was lean, of course, but had some of the best flavor of any steaks (roasts, burger, etc) I've ever had. The best part was since she had to be put down he couldn't actually take her to market so it was sort of a "black market" deal that got me a whole lotta meat for real cheap.

Kinda hoping for another one...lol

Is that in your house? That's quite a stove for a house. Geez. Steaks look good, love that cast iron searing.

It is in my house. Not really supposed to have a commercial stove in a residence but I cooked professionally in my younger years so I was able to buy one.

That's my kind of food! Anything including mushrooms and steak!! I'm gonna have to try this!

Next time you whip that up , call me, I'm close enough to drive there and tell you if it's as good as it looks. Because it looks outstanding!

I would starting eating right out of the CI...couldn't stand there and wait for the sauce...excellent looking steaks

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only midnight cook! :becky:
Your meal looks one heck of a lot better than my nighttime feasts. Outstanding Norm!! Looks delicious!! :clap:

Looks awesome. Only thing missing is a few green peppercorns and you are rocking.

Most of my midnight meals are pretty basic Jeanie. Amped up from a long trip and just a way to unwind.

Thanks for all the nice comments!

It is in my house. Not really supposed to have a commercial stove in a residence but I cooked professionally in my younger years so I was able to buy one.

I was going to ask the same question Norm. Awesome set up, cook and I definitely like your style. :thumb:

Back