The American BBQ Showdown

Getting to be that time. Coffee in the morning, beer in the heat of the day- bourbon as it gets dark.

I will snap it on and see if I can tuff it out- with the help of a couple of highballs

I figure I've hit that mellow spot when the show gets good. Was going to say how I knew when I had too much- but I'm trying to mend my karma. (will have to see how that goes)

I looked at it again and the judges seemed worried about the tenderness. The graphic said " 195 is the recommended IT for safely cooked ribs". Nit picky, but they could have left the word safely out of the graphic.

The post production peeps are probably not pitmasters.:mrgreen:

Y’all are better than me. Couldn’t make it thru the first episode
I think they purposely get some wacky people on there. He was gone at the end of the episode.

Last edited:
Turned this on to watch during my lunch. Seems like what you would expect from a show like this. There was a point where someone said they were shooting for an IT of 170 on ribs. I think a graphic popped up saying that ribs weren't considered safe until cooked to 195. I thought they would be safe at 170, but just really tough.

Well, thanks for blowing up my nice Saturday!!! lol. I binged all episodes today. I'm sure that the wife is frowning somewhere deep inside. I liked the chemistry of the judges and competitors. There was a lot of thought that went into that show. But, it showed true BBQ love. When Ash had a total meltdown, he was picked back up by Rasheed.

I like how they upped the challenge for every cook. I hated seeing certain personalities go because I sort of liked them. Thanks for sharing this series. I would have totally missed it. I've been burying my head in the sand until this stupid covid clears. Just trying to live normal for some time!!! This was a nice break and a chance to watch something on TV that is positive!

Rasheed seems to be the glue that holds this train wreck together. I definitely respect him.
Not sure whether to apologize for bringing the series up, or wait for the next episode (on Ep 6 now) to see what happens.

I think the winner had a thing for Rasheed as she either put her hands on him or hugged him whenever she got a chance:grin:

I thought it was Great from start to finish. Watched all episodes today and learned a thing or 2. Thanks OP!

It was fun to watch but not all was good Q. Some things didn't make sense. But as competition shows go this was at least about something I like.

As I've never seen a bbq competition, is this the way they are usually done?

I made it through 3 episodes so far. It's hard to have a format that appeals to all viewers and I like the fact they all use the same arsenal of cookers.... but from watching and listening to the comments, it looked like they didn't spend any time showing the cooks how each cooker works. One of the guys looked at the pellet grill and said something like "I don't even know how to turn this thing on, or where the wood goes" and one of the gals was open lid grilling on a BGE while inside doing prep work.

There is sort of an Iron Chef feel since they all draw from common ingredients, and sometimes the theme was specific, like 'ribs', then another was something like 'two meats and one side' which let the cooks use some imagination. At first I thought the time limits were too short especially when things like plate ribs were one of the choices, but that added some suspense watching some struggle to cook a 7 hour meat in less than 3 hours.

What happened to Melissa Cookston, she doesn't look very good. Maybe it is the makeup or the glowing white fake teeth.

I didn't hate the show, but didn't love it either. Manufactured TV competition and all. Mostly skipped through it. Didn't really know any of the judges. One lady was super full of herself, but entertaining I suppose. The show was what you expect out of any reality show. Personalities. Generally though it felt like the food took the stage in the end which was nice.Their food products were certainly interesting as were the original challenges pitted to them each round.

I'd have killed for a go at that kitchen and any one of their challenges. Looked sublime. I bet I could have managed all those grills. Not sure I could have handled much more than meat though. Sides are hard.

Still no answer on why they had to wear the same clothes for every episode. Unsettling.
Maybe their set clothes for the day. IDK Otherwise they filmed it super fast such that nobody got a chance to change clothes lol. Banging it out so to speak.

They likely wore the same clothes because they did reshoots and stitching together of different days into a single "day", and the producers don't want to have to keep track of wardrobes.

They likely wore the same clothes because they did reshoots and stitching together of different days into a single "day", and the producers don't want to have to keep track of wardrobes.

This does make sense. Did they buy everyone 10 sets of the same outfit? Or would everyone have to change clothes at the end of filming each day so someone could take them all to the laundry?

I watch most of the food competition shows. They are mildly amusing, decent background noise, and I might learn a thing or two.

I would love to know about the 'behind the scenes' of most of these. I've read on a lot of them that the actual judging is done HOURS after the food is coked. If you look at something like MasterChef, the kitchens are spotless by time the tastings begin. I think the outfit part has to do with editing and cutting, but I generally notice that in the 'confessionals.' It makes more sense there, than it does during the actual cooking part of the show.

I am assuming that this show was filmed over several days and if that is right then I wonder why they made everyone wear the same clothes every day. Did they buy everyone 10 sets of the same outfit? Or would everyone have to change clothes at the end of filming each day so someone could take them all to the laundry?

i said same thing :caked:why ???

Back