Modifying an Old Country Pecos Offset

StraightUpBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My Old Country Pecos showed up yesterday, all in all I am pretty impressed with the quality when considering I only spent $400 on it. Went through the initial burn last night and noticed it's leaking from the door on the cooking chamber and firebox grill section. I somewhat anticipated this so I ordered some Lava Lock and RTV ahead of time, that should be arriving today.

I noticed they only tack welded the buffer plate, I was thinking of running a bead of JB Weld around it. Would that be a bad idea?

They did the same thing with the framing around the door cutout on the inside of the cook chamber and fire box. I don't know that RTV will do any good in the fire box but I do plan to line the door frame of the cooking chamber. I will also be sealing the cook chamber door with Lava Lock, I was wondering if it is capable of withstanding the heat in a firebox? I got the 1/2" by 1/8" Lava Lock.

All pits leak a little It aint no big deal JB weld has no business around heat. I'd get a few 20-30 cooks on it and it will seal upon its own.

All pits leak a little It aint no big deal JB weld has no business around heat. I'd get a few 20-30 cooks on it and it will seal upon its own.
This is truth right here. My WSM's all leaked bad when they were new. I did nothing but cook on them and there is not so much as a wisp of smoke that comes out anywhere but the exhaust now.

You don't need to do any of that - offsets are not meant to be airtight. About all a Pecos needs is a convection plate or tuning plates.

You don't need to do any of that - offsets are not meant to be airtight. About all a Pecos needs is a convection plate or tuning plates.

Smitty is right on. I looked at the Old Country Wrangler for a long time and the only mod that I was planning was a Horizon type convection plate. That will really be worth the money.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe

Sorry for an old thread bump, but it seemed better than starting a new thread with the same title.

I'm looking at the OC Pecos now and of course considering mods. Baffles / tuning plates are all that's needed with this?

Smitty- you are like a particular treasure on this forum. I'm wondering if there's a Smitty-Light they shine in the sky for help.

Or 2 cookie trays and a water pan (although this is an Ok Joe Longhorn)

The fire box grate needs additional slots or holes drilled in it or center cut out and expanded metal added for better Ash control but you can cook on it as is - you will just have to push ash over to sides occasionally. Some guys use the grilling grate from top of firebox for the fire grate.

In general with these lighter weight offsets, is there any value with sort of "loading" the firebox or cooking chamber with steel? Not sure if that's possible, and it's clearly not the same as a 1/4" steel build

Just curious.

Just picked up the used OC Wrangler this morning. Which type gasket woukd be best for sealing the cook chamber and firebox door??

Any other suggestions?? Recommend a brand / place to get a convection plate or tuning plates?

AC5F847F-38F2-4790-9B49-E783B9B4196B_zpsxnuk5zmm.jpg

CD0C2C85-DC42-49C8-BB6B-DEC37C498C5C_zpsxfudjwjs.jpg

A36AE6F5-AEAD-483F-BBD9-13F2600E7AD9_zpsngz9yr8q.jpg

I'd cook on it a few times before doing anything. Leaks will seal up as the pit gets hot & expands. I go to the local scrap yard to source some 1/4" plate to make tuning plates.

I'd cook on it a few times before doing anything. Leaks will seal up as the pit gets hot & expands. I go to the local scrap yard to source some 1/4" plate to make tuning plates.

I'll try that and see how it does. Going to do a burn first and see whats what before cooking.. Clean once cool and then try a brisket :)

Btw... Is the stock thermometer location 1/2 NPT threads on these things?

Need to order one / two. May do like Franklin and install down lower though.

Fun turn to this thread, Big Swole!

May not be as fun as I thought. A friend of mine was helping me unload it last night out of the truck and he lost control of his end and it fell over backwards. It did not hurt the smoker at all but it took me over my side with it, trying to keep it from falling, broke the fall with my left hand and I think I broke my left wrist. I go today at 3 o'clock for x-rays. :/

Back