Meadow Creek BX 50 V/S Lone Star Insulated Vertical

Fasteddie223

Reaction score
So I've been looking around to upgrade to a larger smoker and narrowed it down to a Meadow Creek BX 50 or a Lone Star Grillz Vertical.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm thinking go with the Meadow Creek. You could go pick it up yourself and save a ton of money on shipping costs!

I'm with PatAttack. I would err on the side of closer and use the shipping money for other BBQ accessories. There is a lot more information out there about the LSG than the Meadow Creek though.

i have never seen either cooker in person but i would get a shipping quote on the LSG just to make sure it isn't too outrageous. i hear they have shipping down and costs are much better than people expect. the other question i have is are you comparing the bx50 to the large or mini? the mini is more the apples to apples and the large lsg is almost double the capacity from what i am seeing on the manufacturer's sites.

Lone Star is charging $400.00 for shipping and crating, but they are $200.00 cheaper so were looking at only $200. difference.
I like the fact that MC is local to me. I stopped there last Friday and checked out their the BX 50.
The difference that I see is that the
1 - LS uses 11ga instead of MB's 13ga
2 - LS cook chamber is bigger.
3 - Craftsmanship looks good on both
4 - on the LS I heard of problems with the door popping open???

Lone Star is charging $400.00 for shipping and crating, but they are $200.00 cheaper so were looking at only $200. difference.
I like the fact that MC is local to me. I stopped there last Friday and checked out their the BX 50.
The difference that I see is that the
1 - LS uses 11ga instead of MB's 13ga
2 - LS cook chamber is bigger.
3 - Craftsmanship looks good on both
4 - on the LS I heard of problems with the door popping open???

sounds like you need to decide on capacity now. will the bx50 be enough to grow into? will the LSG be so big that it will feel like you are wasting fuel/space? MC is local so does that mean that you can take it back to them if there is an issue? you probably won't be taking the LSG back to Texas.:tsk: on the 18x22 racks you can fit 2 10-14LB briskets or 1 large brisket or 4 butts (my cooker has 17x21 racks).

Man that shipping quote seems almost unreal. That is awesome. Yeah I would have to weigh exactly what you're wanting it for. I'm personally going to pony up for an LSG when I get done with apartment life, but I'm also in Texas, so my decision is much easier. They do have different water fill features and the LSG seems to have more options, but I'm sure MC could work some things up for you.

If I were you, my first plan of action would be to visit a MC dealer. There are 5 in your state, so it shouldn't be much trouble laying your eyes on one in person. That could make your decision a lot easier.

Thanks Paul, now that you mention it the large LS is much bigger than the MC BX 50
I should be comparing the BX50 to the LS Mini. That brings the all in price for the LS Mini $200 less than the MC BX50.
The LS utilizes a full size water pan that catches drippings as well. and an external ball valve to drain the water/drippings
The BX50 uses a water Trough that is about 1/3 the size of the fire box, then uses a removable grease pan to catch the drippings.
Your thoughts ?

Thanks Paul, now that you mention it the large LS is much bigger than the MC BX 50
I should be comparing the BX50 to the LS Mini. That brings the all in price for the LS Mini $200 less than the MC BX50.
The LS utilizes a full size water pan that catches drippings as well. and an external ball valve to drain the water/drippings
The BX50 uses a water Trough that is about 1/3 the size of the fire box, then uses a removable grease pan to catch the drippings.
Your thoughts ?

I don't even use the water pans in my water cookers but most do. I like the water fill and trough because it fills itself. Drippings and water are a pain to clean so the bx50 has the better solution but then placing a pan over the water pan in the LSG would do the same thing. You are looking at 2 quality cookers that will not disappoint. May come down to the one that just does it for you. Don't forget about the wait time. Not trying to sway you one way or the other just want to make sure you get the one that will work best for you and how/what you cook. We don't have to live with the decision. It's not a good feeling to think "what if" every time you cook. Good luck!

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the large Lone Star insulated Vertical.
I was very impressed that when you call LS the owner answers the phone.
Chris was very helpful answering questions.
Thanks everyone for your help

Congrats! You shouldn't have capacity issues for a long, long time. I emailed and talked to chris a couple times. He was quick to respond every time. He just wasn't ready to build the mini at the time or I would have bought an LSG.

Back