Himalayan Sea Salt....

Doug Crann

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What's so special about it compared to just your garden variety sea salt? For one reason or another we have had a container of it sitting around ever since we moved up here in 08....and have hardly used it. Seems to be a bit on the gritty side....

as far as taste...probably not much different than any variety of non-iodized salt.

it's supposed to have a very healthy trace mineral composition.

Various sea salts are sort of like different mineral waters, taste differences are mostly subtle. They are best used as "finishing salt", sprinkled on after dish is done, just before serving. Just adds a little extra zing or pop to a dish.

I love using Himalayan Pink Salt in most dishes. I also use it as a finishing salt. Just be careful though, the crystals are big, and you can over salt things very easily using this.

I love using Himalayan Pink Salt in most dishes. I also use it as a finishing salt. Just be careful though, the crystals are big, and you can over salt things very easily using this.

The OP's salt may seem gritty simply because it is course, but you can buy it ground course or fine. If you're sprinkling on a grind of salt that you're not accustomed to, it can indeed be difficult to judge. The last time I bought Himalayan on Amazon, I clicked kosher by mistake instead of fine, so I got another one of these to go with the one used for pepper:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L0OOQM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00"]Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill: Pepper Grinder: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31%2B7RmAgcbL.@@AMEPARAM@@31%2B7RmAgcbL[/ame]

...it's a great grinder (the only one I've ever used that will turn out pepper quickly enough to satisfy me even when it's set on very fine), and salt doesn't corrode its ceramic grinding parts.

I use the Himalayan salt because it's many trace minerals are supposed to be good for you...and because it's been sitting under the mountains for all these thousands of years, with nothing much but the Sherpa's boots, the old bones of climbers who didn't make it down, and discarded air bottles bouncing around overhead, it's not much subject to pollution. I think it tastes better than table salt, but i could be imagining it.

Last edited:
Your garden like the Himalayas have no seas. It's a scam.

The OP's salt may seem gritty simply because it is course, but you can buy it ground course or fine. If you're sprinkling on a grind of salt that you're not accustomed to, it can indeed be difficult to judge. The last time I bought Himalayan on Amazon, I clicked kosher by mistake instead of fine, so I got another one of these to go with the one used for pepper:

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Pepper Mill: Pepper Grinder: Kitchen & Dining

...it's a great grinder (the only one I've ever used that will turn out pepper quickly enough to satisfy me even when it's set on very fine), and salt doesn't corrode its ceramic grinding parts.

I use the Himalayan salt because it's many trace minerals are supposed to be good for you...and because it's been sitting under the mountains for all these thousands of years, with nothing much but the Sherpa's boots, the old bones of climbers who didn't make it down, and discarded air bottles bouncing around overhead, it's not much subject to pollution. I think it tastes better than table salt, but i could be imagining it.

I use this for grinding the HPS

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-Pepper-Stainless-Grinder-Design/dp/B00X8JJISA/ref=sr_1_22?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1448979126&sr=1-22&keywords=pepper+grinder"]Amazon.com: Tmvel Salt and Pepper Stainless Steel Mill Grinder Set Sleek Design Set of 2.: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EbdCQX8dL.@@AMEPARAM@@41EbdCQX8dL[/ame]

I do like the taste of it better than table salt. I even changed the way my gf and her son think about salt. There is no more regular table salt in the house. Kosher salt, HPS, and Hawaiian sea salt, and Fleur de sel are what we have int he house.

Apologies for not being more specific. It is, more like was, the stuff from Costco in a grinder. Seems like no matter how I adjusted the thing it was gritty tasting.
Decided I wanted to try smoking it. Needless to say those grinders are a one use only type of deal so I cut it open. When I am done smoking some peppercorns for a friend that just had me smoke 18 pounds of cheese for him I will be smoking the pink stuff and putting it on my grinder....

I was wrong when I said I ordered kosher himalayan salt by mistake; rather it was medium grain, instead of fine. I'm unable in fact to find a himalayan salt that is a kosher, or koshering (curing) grind or cut...however I notice that my brand, Sherpa Pink, claims to be kosher certified--so now I'm completely lost.

I picked some of this up at CostCo awhile back out of curiosity, pretty tasty...

81ckeSj4UCL._SY606_.jpg

I have some of that Texmex, a friend brought it from Hawaii for me, just been afraid to try it. Not sure why...

Back