THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imp81318

Knows what a fatty is.
I've made ABTs once before and while they were delicious, they had absolutely no heat to them at all. I used a combination of jalapeno peppers and mini bell peppers. Even the jalapeno peppers had no heat to them after scooping out the insides and smoking them. What kind of peppers, or what do you do differently to make them have a bit of kick when you're eating them?

If you get really hot jalapenos, they will definitely still be fairly hot after smoking. They do mellow a bit, but the hot ones stay hot.

Also, you could chop up whatever peppers you would like and add to your cream cheese. They won't mellow as much in the filling.

Roll the pepper between your hands or on the table (carefully) about 30 minutes before you use it. It doesn't make the pepper hotter per se but it breaks up the internal guts and spreads the capsaicin (spicy chemical) around thereby making the flesh spicier, if that makes sense. This works for any pepper, not just jalapenos.

As was notes, Jalapeños vary in heat and tend to mellow some during cooking. Get rid of the seeds but leave the white that the seeds are attached to. Test a raw jalapeño to check for heat. If you need more heat, try adding some cayenne, finely dice some habaneros and mix into your stuffing, etc. Just carefully add some heat and you'll be fine.

I put "hot" hatch green chile in the mixture and it makes them really tasty. I would watch it with the habeneros, that's hot stuff.

Well, he did ask for spice! LoL

Yeah, everyone has a different tolerance. My wife is from the Caribbean & her folks hold a whole, raw habanero in one hand while eating like a redneck holds on to a piece of cornbread. They take a bite of food, take a bite of pepper...take a bite of food, take a bite of pepper...you get the picture.

I have learned that peppers, such as habaneros, don't only have heat...but they have flavor...they are actually fruity, "IF" you can get past the heat.

I eat them raw with my food when she cooks.

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm going to try playing around with it a bit - see how hot the jalapenos are next time I make them and have a couple of habaneros to dice up and mix into the filling until the desired heat level is achieved.

Sprinkle Habanero Death Dust on the cream cheese after you fill the boat. Then hit it again after the bacon wrap. This gives it a nice kick plus adds another layer of flavor.

Back