Throwdown Voting Blind Poll

What kind of TD Voting do you prefer

• I prefer results hidden while in progress

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • I prefer results shown while in progress

Votes: 33 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem was more serious than solicitation. If one asks an active member for consideration they still may view the TD and vote for who they want. Having people join the forum to pad the vote count is a whole other ball game.
True, but they can't see the votes to know that they needed to cheat.

It does prevent someone from seeing they need a few votes to pull out a win and then soliciting votes to push them over the brink. In the end, the honor system assumes that people will behave honorably.

I agree with that. And I do see where that can become a problem. I'm sure it has happened a number of times. But thats not what got us here. It wasn't just a couple of votes. If its that important to someone I'm sure they will just solicit votes throughout the whole process.

On a forum I used to visit, contestants submitted their final entry photo to the mods and were assigned a number.
The contest was anonymous, forum members voted for the number of the photo they liked without knowing who submitted it.

When the contest was over, and the winner was announced by the mods....then everyone who entered could post photos of their cooks.
How they prepared their entry.

To make sure the cooks were current, (not an old cook), everyone who entered had to include a "secret word" in their final entry photo. The "secret word" was decided by a mod and it was different for each contest.
You could write the word on a piece of paper and set it beside the plate or anywhere... as long as it was included in the final photo.

Not saying it would work here though...
If a plate of Roo showed up, I have a feeling it would either be cooked by Buccs, Bill or Titch! :laugh:

There is, don't vote.

I guess I worded "I don't care" wrong. But a third option that referenced that someone was abstaining from voting for or against does matter. If ten people voted for blind voting, eight people voted against blind voting, and 30 people voted let the owner of the site decide how to run his site, it makes a difference.

I did vote for showing the results here on this poll, but that's only because my option wasn't an option.

My ideal situation would be:

1. You shouldn't be able to see the results until after you vote.

2. Once you vote, then you can see vote totals, but not who voted for who.

That would get rid of voting for or against the winning entry and also limit any unpleasant thoughts about who voted for who.

Simple if you ask me. You did ask me right?

I'm glad you posted this Bill, I didn't want to fark up the Masters TD vote thread with my opinions. So here's another observation. I'm so tired/dumb that I forgot about the blind voting going on in that thread. So I clicked on it just to see who was winning, then realized I can't and that that sucks.

That is all.

See above post.

I like the blind vote, I really don't care to know who voted for whom, what good is that?I'm going to do get pissed because somebody didn't vote like I did ? :tsk:

I know this sounds completely off the wall, but other things become important when you participate in a LOT of TDs. When you see who votes for what entry, you realize their likes and dislikes. Remember, voting is subjective. My favorite thing to eat is completely different than Guerry's favorite thing to eat, for instance. On MANY occasions I cooked for a particular person, my goal being to get that person's vote. If I got that vote, then I considered that I won. If you want to get the most votes, simply cook a medium rare steak, put gravy over the top and top it with a runny egg and a couple strips of bacon. You'll win every time. This also is why I don't vote for certain foods -- not because I don't want them but because they are too easy to make win. There is a difficulty factor that I consider. Some foods also look crappy in pictures, no matter how good they taste of how well they were prepared.

As far as providing my opinion that nobody cares about, the seriousness of the TDs has fundamentally changed the nature of the TDs. Sure, winning was a goal, but I never felt it was THE goal. The change can be seen in the response to the voting of this last TD and the response to the rules. I believe garnering a few additional votes always has been done. I've always noted a few new participants here and there who cast a stray vote for a friend. When winning is not so big a deal and there are no prizes it doesn't matter who wins. When there are prizes, then it does. I am reminded of Rick's comments (remember RTD who submitted the best food pics ever?): "It will never be the same." I thought he was nuts at the time, but I think he was spot on. If you stuff the ballot box, then it is a hollow victory, but that prize can change a lot! I remember some years ago there was a TD won with seemingly 20+ new voters. I believe it was one of our friends from down under who won and confessed that he'd posted his entry on another site with a link. All these guys from that site came in and voted for him. He confessed and apologized. Biggie's response was along the lines of, "why apologize? You introduced all these new people to the TDs. I think that's great!" I had a chuckle at that. It was a perfect response. There are certain things you cannot prevent no matter what you do, so why try? In any case, I do like the blind voting.

Last edited:
I know this sounds completely off the wall, but other things become important when you participate in a LOT of TDs. When you see who votes for what entry, you realize their likes and dislikes. Remember, voting is subjective. My favorite thing to eat is completely different than Guerry's favorite thing to eat, for instance. On MANY occasions I cooked for a particular person, my goal being to get that person's vote. If I got that vote, then I considered that I won. If you want to get the most votes, simply cook a medium rare steak, put gravy over the top and top it with a runny egg and a couple strips of bacon. You'll win every time. This also is why I don't vote for certain foods -- not because I don't want them but because they are too easy to make win. There is a difficulty factor that I consider. Some foods also look crappy in pictures, no matter who good they taste of how well they were prepared.

As far as providing my opinion that nobody cares about, the seriousness of the TDs has fundamentally changed the nature of the TDs. Sure, winning was a goal, but I never felt it was THE goal. The change can be seen in the response to the voting of this last TD and the response to the rules. I believe garnering a few additional votes always has been done. I've always noted a few new participants here and there who cast a stray vote for a friend. When winning is not so big a deal and there are no prizes it doesn't matter who wins. When there are prizes, then it does. I am reminded of Rick's comments (remember RTD who submitted the best food pics ever?): "It will never be the same." I thought he was nuts at the time, but I think he was spot on. If you stuff the ballot box, then it is a hollow victory, but that prize can change a lot! I remember some years ago there was a TD won with seemingly 20+ new voters. I believe it was one of our friends from down under who won and confessed that he'd posted his entry on another site with a link. All these guys from that site came in and voted for him. He confessed and apologized. Biggie's response was along the lines of, "why apologize? You introduced all these new people to the TDs. I think that's great!" I had a chuckle at that. It was a perfect response. There are certain things you cannot prevent no matter what you do, so why try? In any case, I do like the blind voting.

Gore, I still feel bad about that.
It was not my intention for others to vote for me ,it was more a ,looks see at this forum

I think Gore is right that when prizes were awarded thinks changed I always thought that the TDs were for the fun of competition and creativity I love to look at these as some of the entries are outstanding

To be fair, I believe things changed prior with the DQs, but I think the prizes have added to that. There was a time when we used to complain wildly when someone was DQ'ed. There was the chicken burger and the bulls. The other participants were the biggest to complain. Now, when someone is DQ'ed it's just one step closer to that prize! :thumb: And why provide someone else pointers on making better entries when it will only reduce your future chances for a prize? :noidea:

Gore, I still feel bad about that.
It was not my intention for others to vote for me ,it was more a ,looks see at this forum

Hey Titch, don't feel bad at all! I personally thought it was hilarious and I got a tremendous laugh out of it! I also LOVED Biggie's response. That you posted what you had done also says a lot about your character: first rate. The entire episode demonstrated completely that winning was not important! It also was a great entry, BTW.

I know this sounds completely off the wall, but other things become important when you participate in a LOT of TDs. When you see who votes for what entry, you realize their likes and dislikes. Remember, voting is subjective. My favorite thing to eat is completely different than Guerry's favorite thing to eat, for instance. On MANY occasions I cooked for a particular person, my goal being to get that person's vote. If I got that vote, then I considered that I won. If you want to get the most votes, simply cook a medium rare steak, put gravy over the top and top it with a runny egg and a couple strips of bacon. You'll win every time. This also is why I don't vote for certain foods -- not because I don't want them but because they are too easy to make win. There is a difficulty factor that I consider. Some foods also look crappy in pictures, no matter who good they taste of how well they were prepared.

Always so astute. And a damn fine cook too! I too thought things got too serious when prizes were offered. But Hey, it was all about promoting the site and the competition. Some blokes will inevitably get serious. Those steaks were "big stakes". I think though the REAL divergence was when the decision was made to split the threads into a discussion thread and a cook thread. I never understood that at the time. It appeared that some members didn't wanna have fun when they posted their entry. Personally, I'd like to go back to the single thread. Cooking and FUN together. What went wrong????

Gore. You and I had the most fun thread ever I think. We tied. The first tie ever and the concept at the time was we would have an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii for a cookoff!

I'd like to get back to those days. I remember spitting laughter at my screen seeing the funny stuff you posted. Let the Brethren look it up themselves if they want to.

And you're right about RTD too. I think of him now and then. Damn Chicken Sammich!

Cheers Bro!

Bill

Last edited:
P.S.

As the poster of this thread, I can see the results.

They are not what I anticipated so far.

Always so astute. And a damn fine cook too! I too thought things got too serious when prizes were offered. But Hey, it was all about promoting the site and the competition. Some blokes will inevitably get serious. Those steaks were "big steaks". I think though the REAL divergence was when the decision was made to split the threads into a discussion thread and a cook thread. I never understood that at the time. It appeared that some members didn't wanna have fun when they posted their entry. Personally, I'd like to go back to the single thread. Cooking and FUN together. What went wrong????

Gore. You and I had the most fun thread ever I think. We tied. The first tie ever and the concept at the time was we would have an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii for a cookoff!

I'd like to get back to those days. I remember spitting laughter at my screen seeing the funny stuff you posted. Let the Brethren look it up themselves if they want to.

And you're right about RTD too. I think of him now and then. Damn Chicken Sammich!

Cheers Bro!

Bill

The split threads did put a lot of people off. My solution to this is similar to what we have now. One thread is ONLY entries, nothing else. The mods remove everything that is not an entry. But when someone posts an entry in this thread, it is simultaneously placed in the discussion thread. That way those who only want to see the entries can see them all in the entry thread. The discussion thread would be like the discussion threads of past days where we actually see the entries and whackadoodle as we choose.

Yeah. I'd like to see that if we can't go back to the good old days!

Bit of buggerizing around though, just to make a few OCD BBQ cooks feel happy!

Cheers!

Bill

TD Mod Hat off...

I do like the idea of blind voting...at least seeing how it affects the results. Like others have mentioned, I think being able to see results or folks discussing results before voting can influence folks.

I think having completely blind submittals would create a lot of work for the mods to collect entries via PM and repost them. And even then, I think many of the long time members would still recognize an entrants cook thread either through pics or writing style. I would not want to move to just an entry pic without seeing cook threads. That would take away some of the TD Magic that drew me in to begin with. Folks would have to refrain from sharing cook threads in Q-Talk for weeks until a vote was finished and that takes away from Q-Talk as well as the TDs.

I think what we have now is a good compromise...at least good enough to see how it works out for a while.

And thanks Everyone for sharing your thoughts in this!

OK... I want to preface this by saying that this is Ronelle the Brethren member speaking, and NOT Ron_L the Brethren moderator.

There have been a lot of things tossed around in here and some great feedback. I'd like to add my thoughts on some of them. I am also NOT addressing these to anyone in particular, so please don't read any of this as targeted at any Brethren member.

1. The TDs, prizes and fun - When these crazy things started it was done to have fun and to give us a way to show off our cooking and photography skills. Yes, cooking is most important, but a good picture can make a huge difference. Anyway, Somewhere along the way the much-sought-after, highly-collectible Throwdown Certificate was introduced for the winner and that became something that we could use to brag about our wins. I still have the certificate from my first win in a frame! A couple of years ago the participation was dwindling so the idea of prizes came up and one of our Brethren Ventures members was asked to become our first TD sponsor (Thanks, Big Brother Smoke!). The response was very positive so the prizes continued. But, I agree that things started getting serious once prizes were introduced, especially when the prize was red meat :-D But, our members outside of the US typically aren't eligible for the prizes, and they continue to participate, so it can't just be for the prize. They must still be having at least some fun :-D

2. The TD Forum and Separate Threads - The TDs started out in QTalk. A few years ago (2010, I think) threads related to the TDs were taking over QTalk. I'm not talking about cook threads, but lots of folks were posting "Check out my entry" type of threads. These were getting out of hand so the TD management at the time requested that the Forum Management create a separate forum inside of QTalk dedicated to the TDs. When this was done the agreement with the TD Management was that only the TD Moderators would post "Check out the TD" threads. Anyone is free to post their cook threads in QTalk (that's what QTalk is for, after all) and link to the TD, but multiple "Check out my entry" threads are not allowed. All other TD-specific threads belong in the TD forum.

At that point we still had one thread for entries and "banter". Unfortunately, the banter evolved into some serious whackadoodling and feedback from the members was that the whackadoodling was intimidating and keeping them from entering the TDs. In an effort to encourage more folks to enter, the separate on and off topic threads were created. We did discuss keeping the entry thread restricted to only entries and no discussion but the consensus at the time was against that.

3. Campaigning for votes - Campaigning, or shilling or whatever you want to call it, is NOT against the rules. But, through the course of the TDs it has become frowned-upon and considered bad form, just like voting for yourself. I don't remember when this occurred but it was before prizes were involved, so the addition of prizes did not cause this. It must be that certificate :rolleyes:. It may have been a byproduct of the posting restriction in QTalk, but, again, I don't remember. Even though this was frowned-upon, is has still gone on, but typically in private using PMs. There have been times in the past where members were called out for this, the most recent being in the Grand Master TD poll where two members were called out for using the PM system to shill for votes. They claim that they were just trying to get more folks to participate in the TDs, but unless they send out these bulk PMs for every TD and not only the ones where they have an entry, that motive is suspect :rolleyes:. But since this is NOT against the rules, there is nothing that the TD or Forum mods can do about it. They are here to enforce the TD and forum rules, and if there is no rule violated they cannot take action.

4. Recruiting new members solely for the purpose of voting - This is another area where the TD and forum mods hands are tied. There is nothing in the TD rules that prohibits this. In addition, this can be very hard to prove. Circumstantial evidence suggests that this happened, but the member allegedly involved claimed that he was inviting friends to join the forum, and once they join he has no control over what they do once they join and how much they participate. Is this practice unethical? If it was done for the sole purpose of getting votes to win a TD and the prize, then I believe it is. But, we want everyone to recruit new members so we continue to grow, so it is a fine line. Either way, no rules have been broken, so no action can be taken. BUT, things can be done to prevent this in the future, and new restrictions have been put in place regarding who is allowed to vote in any poll, not just the TDs. These restrictions affect all new members, so someone who just joined may find themselves locked out of voting, but if they are here to become part of our family they will be able to vote before they know it.

5. The polls and visibility - This has been discussed in the past and at the time the consensus was to keep the polls transparent. That meant that once you voted you would be able to see the vote totals and who voted. Since the debacle in the 2014 Grand Master poll the TD management decided to try an experiment and keep all poll results secret until after the poll closes. Hence the reason for this thread and Bill's poll :shock:. There are really three options for polls...

• Public Polls - this is what we used to do.
  • Hidden results - what we have in the current TD votes threads
  • Private Polls - the results are hidden until you vote. After that you see the vote totals, but not who voted.

Any of these options can be selected on a per-poll basis so there is some flexibility.

6. Anonymous Entries - The idea that Jeanie posted about entries being submitted in secret and identified by a number, or something similar, has been discussed in the past. This is only anonymous until the entry pictures are posted. Once posted, the entrant can easily send a PM to his/her friends telling them which entry is theirs, and the anonymity is lost, so while this may appear to stop favoritism, in reality it doesn't change anything.

This turned out to be longer than I thought, so if you made it this far, thank you for your attention.

Let's try to get past all of this drama and make the Throwdowns fun again! I would love to see 20 - 30 entries in every TD, as we had in the past! If you've never entered a TD, give it a shot! I've prodded some of our members to enter and the response is that they wouldn't have a chance to win. Winning is cool, but entering and showing others your creations is where the real fun is, so enter! You never know what type of entry will win! Heck, some guy won recently with a bowl of soup! :becky:

I'm okay with the blind voting before your vote is cast but not being able to see the vote count after you've voted does suck some of the fun out of it. First how does Mongo know who to Mongo if he cant see the vote count, enven if he didn't want to Mongo himself we cant joke about it. Also in one of the funnest TD's I was in Moose and I were competing for the lead in Biggies pole, his antlers and my hat hair were locked in a vicious battle with over 6 lead changes. In the end his antlers proved to be too much for even my hat hair and he bested me it didn't matter what the final outcome was it was jest so much fun watching it unfold with all the lead changes.

P.S. It's also pretty fun watching a three way unfold. :thumb:

Back