Wtf dessert? Smoke a cake?

CodyJ.

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What am I supposed to do for a dessert category? Do I bake a cake and cut it into six pieces or some $#!t?

Sure. Cake, pie, cheesecake, all sorts of things show up as dessert. We took first place recently with cheesecake that I cooked in my Memphis Pro pellet cooker.

Last comp we grilled peaches , drizzled with homemade caramel sauce topped with bacon .

10533056_739352102806671_239741329372257606_n.jpg

You don't have to cook it in a smoker. It can be prepared ahead of time if you want. I did the dessert category at the last comp I did and took first place with fried pecan pie.

You don't have to cook it in a smoker. It can be prepared ahead of time if you want. I did the dessert category at the last comp I did and took first place with fried pecan pie.

That's not always true. At the St. Charles, IL competition, where we won, the dessert had to be prepared on site. Same thing for the upcoming Kenosha, WI competition. More and more competitions are doing this because folks were entering store bought desserts.

Check the rules for your specific competition, Cody!

What am I supposed to do for a dessert category? Do I bake a cake and cut it into six pieces or some $#!t?

Well, with that kinda attitude why even bother with it ?

Yes exactly that. Bake a cake and cut it into a minimum of six pieces and some $#!t. The 6 pieces is key.......and $#!t.

Why so upset/angry about dessert?? You don't have to do it.

Check with the organizer. Since dessert is not an "official" category, it's up to the organizer's discretion as to whether desserts must be *cooked* on site/in a smoker, or *prepared/assembled* on site, although most specify no prepared purchased desserts allowed. Also take into account whether desserts will be submitted in a blind box, or whether it's open garnish -- i.e., on a tray with whatever you want, although often a maximum size of tray is specified.

If you have room, you can bake about anything in a smoker. Lots of people do cheesecake, or cobblers, or specialty bread pudding. You could bake little cakes to make fresh-fruit shortcakes. I've even done white chocolate chipotle crème brûlée in a WSM.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I really want to. I can just see it laid out on a tray, with a whole one in the middle, and portions dished into little plates all around it. Pineapple, coconut, nuts, cookies, Eagle Brand and booze, all oozing together -- what's not to love?

http://www.wiveswithknives.net/2013/03/27/gratineed-pineapple-revisited/

IMG_89611.jpg

I'm not upset. Just baffled by it. Been spending all my time learning meats. Have no idea what to do with a dessert. Does it go in a regular 9x9? How can ya garnish? It's just throwing me for a loop and don't know where to start.

You guys are really helping me already.

Thanks!

You need to start thinking of your smokers as Cookers, anything you can make in the oven can be done in the smoker. Well thats our thoughts anyway...

Let your imagination run, cheescake is popular, as is bread pudding, this is the fun part have fun testing recipes..

Since you are in CT I'm assuming this is NEBS. I don't have the rules handy but you need to cook it there and use wood, charcoal or wood pellets as the fuel source. You can't make it ahead of time. Cheesecake usually does well.

Here's a pic of one we did where lemon was the surprise dessert ingredient. This is a pic of before we cleaned/finished it up for turn in and garnished the platter. Cheesecake with a lemon glaze on top, also had candied nutts and vanilla whipped cream.

This one came in 1st.

Attachments

• cheescake.jpg
    cheescake.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 137
At our last competition, we scored a PERFECT PERFECT 180 with a caramel peach bread pudding that we cooked on the Jambo onsite with nothing but an oak fire.

P7190045.jpg

P7190046.jpg

I'm not upset. Just baffled by it. Been spending all my time learning meats. Have no idea what to do with a dessert. Does it go in a regular 9x9? How can ya garnish? It's just throwing me for a loop and don't know where to start.

You guys are really helping me already.

Thanks!

Ah sorry. Normally "$#!t" on top of a "wtf" infers some extent of anger/upsetness :crazy:. I must have misread the tone. It was subtle :rolleyes:.

Check with the organizer about what container you can use and the garnish. Most of the time we see open container and open garnish, but it varies. Sometimes it has to be in a normal box.

Use the Google search at the bottom to get some more dessert ideas of what people turn in. Also cooking onsite is pretty simple. We've cooked many desserts in our backwoods.

Ah sorry. Normally "$#!t" on top of a "wtf" infers some extent of anger/upsetness :crazy:. I must have misread the tone. It was subtle :rolleyes:.

Now that's funny !!!!! Thank you for the good laugh .

Last year we did a chocolate cake from a box mix and served it in a martini glass with some home made ice cream. Looked delicious but we got murdered so I'm not doing dessert anymore.

Back