BBQ Pulled Pork Fried Raviolis

Grimm5577

is Blowin Smoke!
Started with a bone in shoulder, I left the skin on and rubbed it with some Plowboy's Bovine Bold. It smoked on the lower rack of the WSM at around 250-275 degrees using Royal Oak Lump and a Hickory Cherry chunk mix.

IMG_6436.jpg

Pulled the pork from the smoker when it hit 200 degrees and the bone was wiggling out. I let it rest on the counter and then refrigerated it. The next day I pulled it and added 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar.

I wanted to make some pulled pork fried raviolis so I got my home made pasta dough, and some Plowboy's Sweet 180 sauce.

IMG_6531.jpg

Put one layer of the fresh semolina pasta dough out grabbed a little ball of pulled pork and placed them evenly down the dough strip. Each lump of pulled pork got a dab of some Plowboys Sweet 180 sauce.

IMG_6534.jpg

I then used some water to get both sides of the inside side of the pasta area sticky. Then layer the top sheet of pasta over it and formed small pockets of BBQ pulled pork goodness. Used a little more water on my finger to seal up the edges.

IMG_6535.jpg

I then used a pizza cutting wheel to cut out the individual BBQ pulled pork raviolis. I gave them a dash of flour and let them sit to dry a bit. After they dried it was time to batter and fry. Got a cast iron pan with peanut oil up to 350 and then got out the batter ingredients. Couple eggs and some milk for the binder, and some Andy;s chicken breeder with some cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.

IMG_6544.jpg

The raviolis got battered and then a quick swim in the oil.

IMG_6546.jpg

I fried them till they were golden brown.

IMG_6547.jpg

I don't have a plated pic as they were nearly all gone before i even got done cooking them, but they were served with a creamy ranch sauce and a cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, tomatillo sauce.

IMG_6519.jpg

http://www.cookoverfire.com/pork/pulled-pork-fried-ravioli/

Have you been to St. Louis?

I have been out there for work a quite a few times, we have an office out in earth city, MO. Is there a place that has these out there I should check out? I should be heading out there again in late August I think. Although I think I'll be flying thre and back the same day.

I have been out there for work a quite a few times, we have an office out in earth city, MO. Is there a place that has these out there I should check out? I should be heading out there again in late August I think. Although I think I'll be flying thre and back the same day.

"Toasted" ravioli, as we call them, were invented in St. Louis.

Traditionally, it is an Italian staple which involves slow roasting beef, pork, and veal with vegetables as a filling. They are then fried and served with marinara.

There are seafood versions, pumpkin versions, Ruben versions, guacamole versions, you name it.

I have not seen the pulled pork version - well done.

There is a good BBQ joint not far from Earth City called Sugarfire Smokehouse.
They don't have the ravs, but if you're looking for near by BBQ.

If you have sometime, the best Q in town is Pappy's or Bogart's but they're 30 min from Earth City

Again, great idea.

Things like that are a lot of work but oh so worth it!
Yea this is definitely a process especially if you are doing it all in one day, but if you got some leftovers and need a different way to get rid of them it's certainly a very delicious way!

"Toasted" ravioli, as we call them, were invented in St. Louis.

Traditionally, it is an Italian staple which involves slow roasting beef, pork, and veal with vegetables as a filling. They are then fried and served with marinara.

There are seafood versions, pumpkin versions, Ruben versions, guacamole versions, you name it.

I have not seen the pulled pork version - well done.

There is a good BBQ joint not far from Earth City called Sugarfire Smokehouse.
They don't have the ravs, but if you're looking for near by BBQ.

If you have sometime, the best Q in town is Pappy's or Bogart's but they're 30 min from Earth City

Again, great idea.

Thanks, I've had italian "toasted" raviolis before but had no idea of the orgination and was surprised that you said you hadn't seen any pulled pork ones out there. Could I be the first? :laugh: ha yea right.

Oh and thanks for the recommendations too. I will try to hit up those places when I head out there.

Thanks everyone, I will definitely be doing more of these with various BBQ fillings. I also was thinking of trying to cook them in a weber veggie bowl.

Back