Harbor Freight Weed Burner Torch

Faston

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got the one with push button start. I attached the hose directly to the propane tank. Instructions said to attach directly to the POL valve. I assumed this is the valve you always find on the top of the tank. I barely open the black knob on the gun and barely squeezing the lever and the propane blasts out. Squeezing the lever further quickly blows out the flame from excessive pressure. I had to restart many times from blow outs. It seems like any amount of wind blows it out quickly.

Should I be using regulator at the tank? This doesn't seem right. Sure am glad I got the one with push button start as I had to restart so many times.

Thanks

I have the same one. If I use the knob I can run it almost wide open, if I use the lever it blows itself out. In all honesty I cannot think of anything I would need to run it wide open on, about halfway open is pretty extreme heat. It is my understanding that the valves on the new gas bottles are designed to prevent excessive gas flow before shutting their self off. Hope this helps ha.

No you just need to let it warm up for a minute then open the black valve on the torch a hair more until you just start to hear the Jet engine noise. The sliver lever is like the gas peddle in your car ease into it the more fuel you add the more air you need adding fuel to quickly will kill it. sticking the touch head into a UDS to light the basket will kill it as it need more air than the volume available in a UDS unless you keep a very low flame.

I connect the hose to the tank, barely open the tank valve, barely open the valve on the torch, click the lighter button until it lights. Once lit, I will use the valve on the torch to turn the flame up a little and point at the coals I want to light. When done, I shutdown the tank valve first, burn the gas that is in the line, and then shutdown the torch valve.

Thanks for the great insight guys. Bludawg’s cautions on use in a UDS and flame outs due to air depletion were probably causing some of my flame outs in my firebox and my firebox is both top and end opening. I also had super hot flames come back at me from the firebox. It was great having long leather gloves. A face shield would have been nice too. The instructions state to use OSHA protective gear only but doesn’t tell you what that is.
Be careful with this one folks or you could quickly become the Q yourself.

I open the valve on the propane tank just enough to tell it is flowing in to the torch. Then I turn the knob on the torch until just when I can hear it flowing (as opposed to when it just sounds like it is leaking out). Click the button to light it up, then I use very slight/smooth squeezes of the handle to get the torch effect that I want.

I like this little flamethrower. I have the same one and if you are 'wide open' and squeeze the trigger it will blow out. I use mine about 1/2 open until it heats up and then adjust the knob to a point that when i squeeze the trigger, the trigger squeeze takes it to wide open.

Back