Seasoning an offset

shnmclr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm expecting to get a call from the Shirley guys in the next few weeks and it got me thinking about seasoning the grates. I've seen people use Canola oil or Peanut oil to season, but has anyone ever used bacon drippings. I was thinking about painting it on the grates and letting the smoke roll. Not sure if that would work or not. Just a thought.

Sure! I've also heard of folks saving brisket drippings to season pits. I think the main reason folks use store bought cooking oils is convenience and the ability to get good even coverage. My go to has become spray Canola .

Spray canola oil in it like dwfisk said above and get it over with and done. Believe me, your new great cooler (and it is) will season up just fine.

There are all kind of oils, grease, etc you can use but why make it hard? Whether you pass or run for a touchdown, it is still a touchdown. :decision:

Yeah my last one I just seasoned with cooking spray, got it up to 300 for about 1hr and then just loaded it up with food. Don't over think it :-D

Only use bacon grease if you want the pit to smell wonderful instantly. And I mean, who wants the pit to smell GOOD? Amirite?

All joking aside, one of the small things that get me to smile when I'm doing a cook is when the neighbors come over to tell me the aroma from the cooker is intoxicating, and all I'm doing is warming it up at that point. Love it.

Spray Pam on them and then cook a couple fatties Some will cook biscuits in different locations on the grates to see if they have hot spots

on the new offset I am building when I get it done I'm planning on spraying it down with Canola oil and then Cooking bacon on the grates... I will buy a couple of big packages of bacon from sams.. Will spread it out all over the cook chamber.. will help determine her characteristics.. I have a huge cook coming up Memorial Day weekend.. Want to shorten the learning curve for the new smoker. And we will eat on the bacon for weeks lol maybe 2 lol And it will add extra seasoning to the pit..

I just seasoned my brand new offset with bacon grease. Happened to cook a package of bacon on the day I seasoned the pit so it worked out great. I did my initial burn out and after that while the pit walls were still super hot, wiped on the cooled, hardened bacon fat and it just melted right down the walls of the cooker. I had planned on rolling with canola but hey, with bacon fat in hand, why would I not go with that!

Back