Lamb on the Santa Maria

NoOne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Happy Friday! The weather is supposed to be crap over the weekend and I wanted to get at least 1 good cook in for Mother’s Day. On the menu tonight, boneless leg of lamb, grilled cauliflower and white beans. Sorry, lots of pics on this one... enjoy.

Decided to cheat a bit tonight and get the charcoal rack out and not go with a full live fire cook. It was the first time with this set-up and it went well (other than using cheap briquettes that my folks left from one of their visits).

pdEu3g9.jpg

Started with 2 New Zealand boneless legs of lamb we picked up from Sam’s club. They looked good bundled up, but these legs were born to run so we set them free and opened them up.

oDsjgly.jpg

i9F5ulx.jpg

Made a wet rub of chopped garlic, oregano, lemon and orange zest, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Slathered all over and let it sit while the coals get perfect, added 2 sticks of oak for a nice smoke.

xl0l1J0.jpg

WbYg4su.jpg

For the grilled cauliflower, did a 5 minute blanch in salted water then added a harissa honey sauce right before we put everything o the grill. The harissa honey sauce was harissa paste, honey, oregano, salt, pepper, chili flakes, lemon juice and olive oil. Onto the grill, lamb was fat side down.

MMi1dzA.jpg

The lamb went for a good 60 - 70 minute cook. Pulled the cauliflower off around the 50 minute mark, a little disappointed it didn’t get a better char but it was cooked perfectly.

5yFbf3p.jpg

C6jX1Lw.jpg

CfoIl6Y.jpg

Off to slice, I admit that I didn’t let the lamb rest enough, but it was a perfect medium rare and the most tender lamb I have ever cooked. There was absolutely no resistance and the knife just glided through.

yADuLhL.jpg

nBhIQTq.jpg

And the finished plate, served with a garlic parsley sauce. I have to say this was a great one, the lamb was perfect, but the sweet and spicy cauliflower really stood out. This one is going on the list.

vb3YSG0.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks fantastic, thats a toy that you enjoy, you know how to steer it

Yum! I am REALLY interested in the cauliflower.I have a whole row of it in my garden and have been wondering what the fark to do with it all.LOL! WTF is harissa and where do I find it?I really do not want to make 647 quarts of pickled cauliflower and gardinera.

Yum! I am REALLY interested in the cauliflower.I have a whole row of it in my garden and have been wondering what the fark to do with it all.LOL! WTF is harissa and where do I find it?I really do not want to make 647 quarts of pickled cauliflower and gardinera.

Hoss - harissa is a North African red pepper and tomato paste or sauce. It is very flavorful and can be really spicy or just a bit. We get a concentrated paste that comes in a tube and a little goes a long way. My wife doesn’t do heat, so we get a mild one and i jazz it up when needed, it is good stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Phare-Cap-Bo...id=1620440010&sprefix=Harissa,aps,240&sr=8-14

Fantastic cook!

That sliced lamb pic!! :clap2:

I know stuff is good on this site when I say to myself "oh crap, I have to make that!" good going! my wife is gonna be stupid happy with this surprise.

Thank you for the inspiration. Hope it was as good as it looks.

NoOne does it better. :becky:

Awesome and the lamb is cooked perfect. :thumb:

My goodness!

That's just ridiculous. Thoroughly enjoyable to read through that and drool!

Great cauliflower dish as well. Never thought to combine honey and harissa before... but I'd sure love to make some of that deliciousness soon.

Thanks for taking us along with you on your adventure.

That is awesome.

You absolutely did the right thing by grilling the lamb flattened out on the Santa Maria.

Lovely cook.

Cheers!

Bill

Back