Mail woman brought me an Oakridge surprise!(a little pron)

lantern

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I got my new Oakridge Scorpion rub today in the mail. I wasn't expecting it till next week! BONUS!!! The finger test......MAN this is some hot stuff!!! It has a good savory "chili" type flavor. I think I may give it a whirl as rub on some meat destined to be a high grade bowl of red first.....since I've had a hankering for the last couple weeks.

So here's a pic of the rub and a few pics of some ribs I did last week using a mix of Oakridge beef and pork comp and secret weapon(currently a rib fave around this house). I usually don't glaze my ribs, but I did this time to see how Blues Hog's comp sauce did as a glaze. That was a mean combo to say the least.

Thanks to Mike for putting out such high quality rubs. It makes cooking even more fun than it already is for this BBQ nerd.:mrgreen:

bajatom4934

Man do those look good. I've got some St Louis ribs in the freezer that are going to thaw this week.

Super looking ribs.
I don't like hot stuff. But I love Oak dominator rub for my pork ribs.
Looks like a success the new blues hog competition sauce.
Im doubtful because I read it has a smoky flavour and ai don't like artificial smoky flavour added to my smoked meat.
What is your opinion about this ???

Super looking ribs.
I don't like hot stuff. But I love Oak dominator rub for my pork ribs.
Looks like a success the new blues hog competition sauce.
Im doubtful because I read it has a smoky flavour and ai don't like artificial smoky flavour added to my smoked meat.
What is your opinion about this ???

I'm right with you on the anti-smoke flavor, Enrico. I was worried about it since I DO NOT like their smokey mountain sauce for that very reason. However, since it's a blend it's much more subtle than the smokey mountain. I cut it with a little Blues Hog Tennessee Red to thin it out even more.

I forgot to mention that in my original post.:oops::oops:

Those are truly some delicious looking bonz.

Looks great! I got mine today and wow is it hot. Can't wait to cook with it.

That all looks tasty, Glad Enrico asked about the Smoke induced stuff.
send some of those ribs over here

I was going to tell you how awesome those ribs look...then I saw your avatar.:razz:

Very nice looking ribs. The pics are great also. Can't wait to hear about the new rub.

I'm trying to convince myself that 25$ for 6 ounces of rub is worth it, but I mean is it really worth it?!

I'm trying to convince myself that 25$ for 6 ounces of rub is worth it, but I mean is it really worth it?!

Hey IamJHam, I just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel. I was surprised myself when I calculated the final retail price for this rub. Basically, I had a choice between lessening the quality of ingredients or sticking to our business model of making the best rubs money can buy. I obviously chose to stick to our guns and make the best rub with the best ingredients and let the prices fall where they may. I use this same approach on all of our rubs, so the decision wasn't a difficult one to make. :wink:

The batch of scorpion chilies used in this Experimental Edition came directly from one farmer on the island of Trinidad, and their flavor profile is unlike any other scorpion chilies. It was due to unique growing conditions that existed once in one special place on the globe and will likely never be duplicated. So, suffice to say, they were very expensive to obtain.

I totally agree, $25 for six ounces of barbecue rub is a high price to pay. However, you'll not find any other rub like this on the planet, and there will only be 200 units available like this. Ever.

Hopefully, this helps explain a little of why I think it's worth it.

:thumb: :thumb:

Just wanted to add that I tried scorpion on a burger cooked on the blackstone. First, HOT!!! But, second I was pretty danged impressed with the flavor. I made another with crucible for comparison. I tend to like crucible added to things instead of on as a cooking rub and this was not much different. The crucible burger was ok and hot, but not enough to WANT to eat it instead of my usual carne crosta/santa maria burgers.

HOWEVER, the scorpion made a fantastic tasting crust. It put some serious burn on my lips, but I didn't even care. Tasty tasty tasty. Well done Oakridge BBQ. I will be slipping one or two burgers into the mix with this rub from time to time from now on.....or until I run out.:eusa_clap

Back