Smoke a frozen pork butt?

You could but I wouldn't, The outer layers will get pretty over cooked waiting for the inside to get done. Just keep cryovac'd and put in cold water or running cold water to faster un thaw.

I agree put in a sink of cold water in the cryovac let sit in there for 30 minutes and repeat replacing the water till it is thawed .

I've done it with no ill effects when everything inside the outer half inch or so was still pretty solid. I accept no responsibility though if your attempt sucks :) Done it with brisket, too.

When I had a case of frozen butts.I just threw them on frozen and they turned out fine.
As mentioned it took slightly longer. It would have been to much work to try and thaw each butt.
Smoked them @ 300.

Been done and well documented as mentioned above.

There's a difference be good and extraordinary. You'll never get extraordinary imo with frozen because the outside is still over cooking before the inside is ready.

I worked with a guy that swore by putting roast in the crock pot when frozen. He said it kept a pinky, medium rare color but was still fork tender.

There's a difference be good and extraordinary. You'll never get extraordinary imo with frozen because the outside is still over cooking before the inside is ready.
Just cause you can't get your fancy roti through a frozen butt! :wink:

Just cause you can't get your fancy roti through a frozen butt! :wink:

Ha! Sometimes I wish I could for some stuff. lol

I'm just too dang impatient when things aren't completely de thawed.

While I know this is a smoker question rather than grilling but here's an America's Test Kitchen video on cooking frozen steak:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLWsEg1LmaEr3HHdwSxCJXDAYyGA[/ame]

I'm pretty sure for beef of any kind I wouldn't hesitate however I'm not sure about chicken/pork.

I worked as a cook at a rib fest one summer and most of the meats did go on mostly frozen. When youre cooking that much meat at a ribfest its the only way to do it due to lack of fridge space for storage. All approved by the health inspectors. The only tricky bit was getting the rubs to stick to frozen meat. Results were good though.

Yes. you absolutely CAN smoke a frozen frozen pork butt.

start low and slow as the exterior becomes soft to the touch, add your rub, keep on a smokin.

:thumb:

Back