Hatch Green Chile-2015 Harvest Info

Thanks for the reportage Adams! Think I have a few bags left in my freezer that I need to use up. Might fry some and slap em on an egg sammich. :)

Thanks for the reminder. Anyone in the Chicago area know when Heinen's will be selling them? I thought it was sometime around August last year.

They usually show up at non-New Mexico retailers (the few who have it) beginning the 2nd week of August.

cowgirl nailed it. Just a friendly reminder from the great grandson of a full blood Oklahoma Cherokee who's blood got mixed with Irish and German to clean out your remaining frozen stock. The New Mexico chiles are arriving soon.

Also I think they're harvested further North of Hatch NM called "Chamayan Green Chile".
Fantastic too.

Watch for those rotating drum chile roasters.
It's a grand time of year

growing some anaheims here in western MA but likely going to need to supplement. thanks for the link!

MMMMM - looks good 16!
I need to get off my can and order a box this year.

This!!! x1000

Can't wait for this year. Only one bag left from last year.

Last year's pics

20140817_152627.jpg

20140820_161318.jpg

Also I think they're harvested further North of Hatch NM called "Chamayan Green Chile".
Fantastic too.

Watch for those rotating drum chile roasters.

If it is labeled "Hatch" it should be from that area. I think you are thinking of Chimayo chile. It comes from the village of Chimayo in Northern New Mexico. Their peppers are great and I think their red chile is the best you can buy. The flavor of the red has a unique earthiness to it rendering the best red chile sauces I've ever tasted.

Here's a link to the powder....you won't regret it.

http://www.chimayotogo.com/pc-67-7-rancho-de-chimayo-red-chile-powder-579.aspx

The green peppers from Chimayo are similar to the Sandia peppers you can get from Hatch (they are the hot ones, the medium to mild are the NuMex Big Jim peppers).

Adams and Sako, your photos have me dreaming about hatch chiles. :love:
I can't wait til they get here!

Last year's block pit roast...

80bdb5d8-a384-4954-9ccb-e285517fe648_zps26742a49.jpg

b47efaea-4af3-4018-a86f-51bc3e1bc542_zpsae2c5089.jpg

I'll have to get a new "cookin'" rake for this year's batch. My old one was used for yard work. :tsk:

If it is labeled "Hatch" it should be from that area. I think you are thinking of Chimayo chile. It comes from the village of Chimayo in Northern New Mexico. Their peppers are great and I think their red chile is the best you can buy. The flavor of the red has a unique earthiness to it rendering the best red chile sauces I've ever tasted.

Here's a link to the powder....you won't regret it.

http://www.chimayotogo.com/pc-67-7-rancho-de-chimayo-red-chile-powder-579.aspx

The green peppers from Chimayo are similar to the Sandia peppers you can get from Hatch (they are the hot ones, the medium to mild are the NuMex Big Jim peppers).

Thank You I am intimately familiar with the geographical difference. I apologize if I wasn't clear but I must blame it on alcohol.

what I was inferring is that if you
Cannot find Hatch try Chimayo.

51 minutes till beer

My son lives in Belen, NM. I will have some soon. Long, long history of us getten ours. Life is not the same without it.

I'm spoiled. I am right down the road from Hatch. About 20 miles from Young Guns as we speak. I think I take for granted the fact that I can get all of them I can handle without jumping through a lot of hoops.

The Hatch Chiles have hit my area. The roasters are set up at the grocery store roasting chiles every Saturday and Sunday during August. Yay! :thumb:

The SoCal markets are announcing roasting dates just this week, starting this weekend. Seems a few weeks earlier than usual to me.

The SoCal markets are announcing roasting dates just this week, starting this weekend. Seems a few weeks earlier than usual to me.

Great!
Last year they ran through August and the first couple of weeks in September here. I can't wait. :-D

The Hatch Chiles have hit my area. The roasters are set up at the grocery store roasting chiles every Saturday and Sunday during August. Yay! :thumb:

So, as I understand you, the same market will have roasters on every weekend during Hatch season?

Here in SoCal the roasters are at a grocery store for only one day. They bring in a grumpy crew with 5 to 7 roasting drums, and people start lining up for roasting the night prior. If you arrive at say, 9 am on the day of roasting, if they still have sacks of chile(they will sell out), you might have to wait 6+ hours in line. And this is in SoCal in August or September, so 90 degrees or hotter is common in a hot asphalt parking lot with no shade.

When describing this to normal people, very few think you have any sanity whatsoever. Those who love the Hatch just nod approvingly.

Back