BBQ in the rain ( rookie question)

fuggsandfoach

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have heard it is better for the cook.

Ok hahaha I get it to make you feel better.

It is our 1st Comp and we are looking to see any extra ideas for packing ..

thank you in advance

It really depends on what kind of smoker you're using, and what setup. Our first few contests we had WSM's and 2 ez ups. When it rained, the smokers went under 1 tent and we went under the other. If you don't have sides for the tent, use a tarp. Rubber boots and a rain coat are also high on the list. There's nothing worse than having soggy shoes all night and day long.

whatever you think you will need bring

whatever you don't use bring again. somebody might need it
after 7 contest anything you didn't use.
don't bring

I've only judged 12 contests so far this year and it has rained at 10 of them! Usually on Friday, but some on Saturday as well. Ergo, expect rain!!!

I swear the smoke attracts rain clouds at comps no matter what the weather report says when you leave...

we are pellet cookers my husband would rather not put them under the Ez-ups.. I say go for it..

but I will grab some tarps and make some walls

you guys all rock
thank you so much for being so supportive

Rain.....hope to avoid it but ALWAYS be prepared for it.

We cook on a Jambo, which isn't affected by the rain or cold much at all, but since we cook and live under EZ-Ups, WE ARE!

We lash the tents together and where the sides touch, we roll up the two "flaps" together and use spring clips to keep em up. This creates a gutter to keep the rain from getting between the canopies. This helps a lot.

Rain is one thing. Wind is another.
I'd also recommend tying down EZ-Up canopies if you use them.
We use the screw in metal anchors for dog leads. They're cheap and STRONG. We tie to them with simple pull straps. This only works on grass, of course.
For hard surfaces, we use 5 gallon buckets filled with water and strap to them.

Make sure electrical cord plugs are kept in a dry spot. We always have ours up high under the canopy roof. I also always try to wrap the actual outlet receptacle at the power source with a plastic bag or something if needed to keep from blowing GFCI outlets. If you're using a pellet cooker, be last thing you want is to lose power because of a blown GFCI due to wet cords.

Walls help a lot, especially if windy.
If it's warm out, though, walls make it hot.
We always bring fans too. We hang em up in the "ceiling" and face em down.
Airflow is important, especially if it's a wet, damp, rainy day.

What do non-insulated stickburners do in the rain? I'm still in the messing-around phase with mine, but the few times I've run it in the rain it was basically a steam bath from rain hitting the firebox, followed by a 100 degree drop in pit temp. Anyone running a patio-sized stickburner under a canopy?

Last edited:
we are pellet cookers my husband would rather not put them under the Ez-ups.. I say go for it..

but I will grab some tarps and make some walls

you guys all rock
thank you so much for being so supportive

Depending on the size of the chimney, a lot of people will use the semi-flexible flue vent stuff (like dryer vent, but a little more rigid) to pipe the smoke out from under the canopy.

Why doesn't he want them under ez-ups? Depending on the design, you can have most of the smoker under cover and leave the exhaust exposed. That way the electronics don't get wet and you can move food in and out without it getting wet.

I'll let you know after this weekend. :sad:

I bought a $7 rain gutter to connect our 2 10x10 tents. We'll see how it works!

I'll let you know after this weekend. :sad:

I bought a $7 rain gutter to connect our 2 10x10 tents. We'll see how it works!

George, just take about 6 large clamps for paper, roll up the material between the two shelters together and clamp. Works great and is super easy to install and take apart! Cheaper too!

Are you cooking in Cary or Asheboro?

all great advice above but I would add to make sure you have something to put your boxes in to keep dry and warm while making the trip to turn ins.

I convinced him to throw them under the EZ-ups

all I had to do is mention the electronics and he was in my camp. LOL

Ok we are off in a few hours to have a swimmingly good time

Back