Room Temperature Butt?

Hdhead

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looking for recommendation. Have to put butt in smoker at 5:00am. Is it better to let butt sit at room temperature overnight or just put it in smoker cold? Or doesn't matter.

I would leave the butt in the fridge and then take it out just before you start up your smoker. Let it come up to room temp while your letting the smoker get up to temp, but I think leaving it out all night would be ill advised.

The only meat you can get away with letting it come up to room temperature and be safe is beef (minus ground beef)

Chicken and Pork you never want to let it come up to room temperature unless you want a case of food poisoning.

At the Yacht Club, pork butts come out of the fridge, get rubbed, and go on the pit.

I never let them come up to room temp.

It would take a long time for a pork butt to come up to room temperature. That's a lot of time for things to grow on the surface.

Definitely in the fridge.. No benefit to letting pork Butt come up to room tempurature.. and chances are it would go bad..

Yair . . . Bloody Hell you blokes are tetchy!

So I wrap some pork chops or steak in paper and stick it in my saddle bag to grill up on a shovel for tea and you tell me I'm gonna die?

There was life before refrigeration.

Cheers.

So I wrap some pork chops or steak in paper and stick it in my saddle bag to grill up on a shovel for tea and you tell me I'm gonna die?

Cheers.

What was the average life expectancy then? :mrgreen:

Cheers.

There was also a reason behind the FDA regulation in the United States and other countries regulating the way raw meats were handled.

The optimum way to hold raw meats is below 40F. If the internal temperature doesn't raise past that, doesn't garuntee that you will get sick eating the meat. But the likelihood of getting food poisoning increases. You don't always die from food poisoning either, but from the vomit and diarehia and horrible abdominal cramps you suffer from it, you will wish you had died.

Yair . . . I was a bit tongue in cheek but seriously, people do get stressed out about things having to be cold . . . yeah, yeah, I know but there is the FDA and the real world.

From what I have seen I think there is more chance of catching a dose of something from stuff in a lot of peoples fridges than worrying about meat left out on a bench overnight . . . whether or not it is desirable for the cooking process is another thing again. (big grin)

Cheers.

Back