1st Pizza on the Egg - Pron...

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Did my first pizza on the egg today for lunch and I can tell you it won't be the last.
Fresh dough
Sauce
Cheese, and lots of it
Pepperoni
Used the plate setter and a pizza stone.
450 degrees/24 minutes.

It was quite tasty.
Things to do differently....
Make the crust thinner
Cook at a higher temp. Since this as only my 4th cook on it I am a little leary of much higher temps - I have read stories of people melting the gasket.

We also used the Klose to reheat 3 racks of ribs, 2 butts and a brisket we cooked yesterday for a party today.
The brisket didn't slice great ( I need to sharpen the knives) but it was good eating.

Attachments

• Pizza 1.jpg
    Pizza 1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Pizza 2.jpg
    Pizza 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Pizza 3.jpg
    Pizza 3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Brisket.jpg
    Brisket.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 98
That pizza looks great just like that, but I bet you will like temps in the 500s with homemade crust, but I think that Rick (Rick's Tropical Delight) cooks all his pizzas at about 450 degrees.

Great to see you starting to put that egg through its paces.

oh, man... it's all over now! :biggrin:
you'll be making them every friday like me!

and yep, i like the thinner crust too. vinny has some frozen premade crust that is like a cracker and only takes 12 minutes to cook

here's my first pizza on the egg

26jan07-003.jpg

:roll:

Rick - it looks like you have spacers between the plate setter and the pizza stone - dies it make a difference? I had my pizza stone sitting directly on the plate setter.
Also - I am planning on doing a steak tomorrow and want to do it high heat - any issue at this point? I have done 4 loers temp cooks.

Rick uses parchment paper too. I have only tried cornmeal so far, but am gonna try the parchment paper with the next pizza.

whelp, the theory is the spacers help the stone maintain and even heat. i've just always done it because i can and it looks cool :biggrin:

i'd say sear those steaks at about 600-650 for 90 seconds a side with the dome open, pull them and let rest while the egg dampered down comes down to 400, about 20 minutes, then roast the steaks for another 4 minutes a side depending on the thickness

Pizza takes on a whole new, exciting meaning here.

All your pron looks fantastic.

here's a couple of egged pizza tips

- lump charcoal is all you need, no wood
- heat the plate setter and pizza stone for at least 30 minutes at temp
- rotate the pizza for the last five minutes to ensure even cooking
- monitor the progress with a flashlight down the top
- test your crust by lifting the edge slightly
- the second pizza bakes better than the first

I use the fresh frozen/refrigerated dough from the Publix bakery for ease of use. I cut it in half for 2 thin crust pizzas.

Instead of corn meal, I have used kosher salt. The salt doesn't burn like corn meal, and adds a slight salty taste.

That looks great for a first or 30th pizza. :cool:

You guys need to PM Mrs Mafia and tell her that I need an EGG.

Guido - you don't need it.... SHE needs it - you got to learn how to sell these things guys!

Nicely done..

I agree with RTD to not use the wood. it's a bit too overpowering for a pizza with heavy smoke infusion. the smoke given off from the clean burning lump will be just right.

Back