Can't decide!

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've decided I want a Kamado style grill. I like what I've read about them and I think I would enjoy one and get good use out of one. Before I go into my issue, my plan is to keep my Kettle (everyone should have one of those, they are great!), get a kamado, and build a wsm style smoker, similar to Fwismoker's Jamie, when I find a good used cheap 18.5".

Ok so to my issue. I don't like to spend money so I'm looking fairly cheap. Ive come down to the Vision Classic (usually $450-500 at Sam's) or the Char-Griller Akorn (I can get one right now at WalMart for $250).
I'm worried if I don't get the Vision I will always wish I did. But I can put out $250 way easier than $450-500 (not financially but mentally.....but I also like quality). I've heard a lot of good things about each but I just cant decide.
If I go with the Vision I will have to wait until next Spring when they are back in stock at Sam's again and I don't know if I can be patient that long. I wish I would have been able to find one when they were on sale a month ago but unfortunately they were gone at all Sam's close to me.
The Akorn is cheaper and would easily allow me to save money for things to cook! I may have to do a few mods but nothing it should need is hard to do or expensive.

What would you do? (I know someone is gonna say build a UDS...lol)

No experience, but I've heard people say the Akron is good... So you could get that quick and save. Or just build a UDS. :-D

If you are going to save money and then regret it, might as well spend the money...

But, it's not my money...

Surely you can find the Vision somewhere besides Sam's? Remember, buy once, cry once.

I love the Acorn and that's a very good price. Might have to replace the lid gasket after about a year. What are you waiting for?

I love the Acorn and that's a very good price. Might have to replace the lid gasket after about a year. What are you waiting for?

Good question. Just want to make sure I'm happy with my decision. I past up the Vision all summer because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $450 on it.

Put it this way. If I could get the Vision for $300, maybe $350 I'd do it. But who wouldn't, right?

And the Akorn, honestly even though I've read good things, I'm worried about the fact it's still a Char-griller product. ...That's probably the biggest thing making me think twice about it.

get whichever one comes in red!

akorn2_zpsa58cbb38.jpg

:thumb:

Also, how clumsy are you? :becky:

I would say I'm not very clumsy. I'm assuming you asked that because of the potential to break the ceramic? Whatever I get it will be getting wheeled into a "cooking area" then wheeled back into a covered "storage" area. That's another Pro for the Akorn as it wouldn't be as fragile.

I believe in get what you want if you don't have the money save up till you do.
Patience is a virtue. I guess impatience is a virtue also but you get my drift.

Start hunting some Vision kamados down at Sam's locations. There are guys grabbing them for $249-$299 closeout price.

I believe in get what you want if you don't have the money save up till you do.
Patience is a virtue. I guess impatience is a virtue also but you get my drift.

i agree with this...i was going to just get a weber performer this fall....but if i save up another month or 3 i can get an XL grill dome and build a nice cedar table i just finished designing for it....google sketchup ftw

I grabbed one of the Vision's from Sam's for $250 but after assembling and seeing them in person, I'd give $500 for one in a heartbeat.

Start hunting some Vision kamados down at Sam's locations. There are guys grabbing them for $249-$299 closeout price.

Oh man! I've looked and looked and looked. Nothing close to me or any of my family. Seems most people who were getting the great deals were all up in the northern states.

Back