Hey Smitty, Need Some Smokehouse Advice.

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I smoked a brisket in the OC Smokehouse for the first time Wed. While it was mostly amazing the flat was a little over cooked and the point was a little under cooked. I'm used to smoking brisket on an offset which I sold to a friend. Are you able to get a brisket cooked just right from end to end?

Pretty Much. Could have just been the brisket . Was the point really fatty.? My flats are slightly overcooked by some people standards -but that's how I like them. I have never had a point to be under cooked - on any cooker.

I like Fat cap down. I cut out All of the hard Fat between the point and flat and on the end of the point . Run 275-300*. Usually run naked but if the edges of the flat look to be getting charred I will wrap and with your paper. I Do a water pans - 1. To even out temps, 2. I don't like drippings burning on Hot plate baffle over the fire.

Last edited:
almost sounds like you found a hot spot. try cooking it 180 degrees different next time. just a guess.

Pretty Much. Could have just been the brisket . Was the point really fatty.? My flats are slightly overcooked by some people standards -but that's how I like them. I have never had a point to be under cooked - on any cooker.

I like Fat cap down. I cut out All of the hard Fat between the point and flat and on the end of the point . Run 275-300*. Usually run naked but if the edges of the flat look to be getting charred I will wrap and with your paper. I Do a water pans - 1. To even out temps, 2. I don't like drippings burning on Hot plate baffle over the fire.
Yeah, usually the point will be fall apart tender before the flat. I cooked around 280° but the temps got away from a couple of times toward the last 2 or 3 hours. I cooked it fat cap down. I was really happy and don't mind the crispy corners on the flat. Thanks for the response.

almost sounds like you found a hot spot. try cooking it 180 degrees different next time. just a guess.

I was thinking that might have played a part. I plan on doing the biscuit test before my next cook.

Was the flat pretty thin? I tend to overcook the flat when it is much thinner than what I usually work with.

In addition to thick Floppy Flats I try to tell if point has more Hard Fat or not - try to get softer feeling points. Can't always tell but I've had a packer or two with really fatty points and harder Fat that I had to just chop and pick Fat out and was less meat than Normal.

Back