270 Smoker First Impressions w/Pr0n

The temps up and down and side to side seem pretty good but I have not done any tests yet. I have the large 270 you can load up all the racks with or without full size pans without air flow problems. I have a stumps and onyx ovens.... They are good smokers but you really need to run a guru on them, I just wanted to simplify my competion chaos and cooks with a large capacity that is why I went with a 270 just roll it out it has it's own wheels built into the smoker....no more lifting, it is simple to load and light and you can get to the coals real easy, you can use a water pan if you want. The racks and fire box will not fall out when you pull them out...a big plus when you are running around in competion, the powder coating is done really we'll fit and finish is right on, the front door has built in stops so it will no open and slam on the side of the smoker. When I load up the fire box I will get a 12-14 hour cook at 270-300 temp, it also has a removable ash pan just pull out and dump ashes, then just shut down the vents and you usually have coals left over for your next smoke. You can remove everything out racks and fire box for easy clean up....... It does seem to cook faster ribs done in four hours, chicken cooks faster also the chicken gets crispy skin the way I like it!!!!!! At Mohegan sun comp I smoked 12 pork butts during the weekend just load it and forget about it really nice when you want to get some sleep. Overall the best smoker I have used.

Your four hour ribs -- foiling or no? Water? Temp?

Yes I foiled after two and half hours. They were loin back ribs so they cook a little faster, and keep an eye after you foil you do not want your sugar and honey to get too dark. They tasted as good as they looked. How did your brisket turn out????

No water on the ribs and 270 for temp, spritz after one hour, martins apple cider, oil and apple vinegar heinz

Yes I foiled after two and half hours. They were loin back ribs so they cook a little faster, and keep an eye after you foil you do not want your sugar and honey to get too dark. They tasted as good as they looked. How did your brisket turn out????

Sounds very similar to the technique I've used on my WSM -- no water, times, and temps -- so should translate great to the 270. Brisket came out close, but was only a flat so I was a bit off -- slightly underdone, but tasted great. Next time will do a packer to stay closer to what I know.

Was the brisket dry or juicy, how was the smoke ring.... I know every brisket cooks different. This year I am having a real hard time finding a good and large cut of brisket. The problems they had in Texas last year I think is the problem. I am going to bite the bullet and do a full KCBS comp on the 270 in three weeks at the Bel Air BBQ Bash

On the dry side. Pulled at probe tender (I thought), but tightened up a bit on the rest. Smoke ring was there, but not deep. Still decent, but not spot on. Still some experimenting to do! Reasonably priced full packers aren't easy to come by here either. Wegman's has them, but priced a tad high. There's an international market in Springfield that I've read carries them, but haven't checked it out yet.

Someone asked about the temp differential across the cook chamber. Currently doing hot and fast ribs on three racks in the middle, and have Mav ET733 probes measuring temp on a rack above (very top rack position) and rack below (second position from bottom). Both probe tips are near the middle of the rack (both side-to-side and front-to-back). I am running with water in the pan. Upper reading is the temp on the lower rack above the water pan. Lower reading is the temp at the very top rack. The differential was a bit higher earlier, as you might expect before the water comes to temp and temperature stabilizes in the chamber.

162DED38-E096-4F2E-A8AC-740F17B1632C_zpssbampg9t.jpg

270 Smokers

I'm looking at a 270 Standard. Since it has been a few months since your last post I was wondering your thoughts on the 270 now that you have had it for a bit? Good/Bad. How's it cook. I'd like to use it in competition. I can't seem to find many reviews online. Thank you for your input

Great cooker. No complaints. Have done a number of cooks and still find it easy to use, dial in, and hold temp. Great with all meats I've thrown at it so far, but seems to be particularly good with poultry and ribs (or maybe that's just what I like to cook...;). Zero regrets here. Highly recommended.

Back