THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
I want my first Lang so bad - the Model 36 Patio (1295.00). I just got a shipping quote which is not quite half the cost of the smoker, but still, $500 is not trivial. Also checked out some Old Country Pecos smokers at Academy tonight. Heavy smokers, but visually saw things in the builds that were fairly blatant imperfections, but not so bad that I couldn't live with them, and I can get my brother in law to pick it up for me for a case of beer! Should I just bite the bullet and get the Lang? Somebody please tell that the Lang is a no brainer! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langs are Great but 36" smoker are too Small for my Liking.......20 x 42" or better yet 24"x 48" is a Great Size for Home.

Take the $1,000 and use it as a deposit on a Lone Star Grills, Gator, Klose, etc. Then you have another 4-6 months to save another thousand.

Or buy a quality stick welder for $500 and build whatever you want for another $500.

Buy once, cry once I say. If you are going to get an offset, I would not half-ass it.

Last edited:
In a flagrant breach of etiquette: I TRIPLE dog dare you!!

If you've got the coin, I agree with Rockinar that LSG is a better bet if you're okay with traditional flow. If it's gotta be RF then meadow creek and Shirley are terrific, and you could find one used.

If you're okay road tripping with a trailer, you could always drive to Nahunta and save on shipping. The catch though is I believe you pay Georgia sales tax if you take delivery at the factory:(

In a flagrant breach of etiquette: I TRIPLE dog dare you!!

If you've got the coin, I agree with Rockinar that LSG is a better bet if you're okay with traditional flow. If it's gotta be RF then meadow creek and Shirley are terrific, and you could find one used.

If you're okay road tripping with a trailer, you could always drive to Nahunta and save on shipping. The catch though is I believe you pay Georgia sales tax if you take delivery at the factory:(

So you save on the sale tax if you have it delivered?

Get the 48. I was debating on 36 ad 48 and went with 48 and was wishing I went 60! Lang is a great product. Don't listen to people who don't even own the product. I have found that pits are like cars, everyone has their preference.

Make the road trip. I had $800 quote for 48 Original so Injust went and picked it up and towed it back to Ohio. Trip only cost $400 for me and my dad to get hotel, gas, and food. Plus it was a fun road trip!

I do like the 48, and I have the money for it too! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 36 stretch patio is what I went with. Cooking area is almost identical to the 48 but racks of ribs fit just right front to back in the stretch. No wasted space.

Just do it.

Next Post is going to be somebody telling you to wait for a Shirley.

Get what you want or you will regret it! If it's a Lang take the trip, post up and visit with a couple brethren on the way. Plot out a BBQ roadtrip :)

I briefly owned a Pecos and now own a Lang 36" patio. The metal on the Pecos was thin and cooking temps fluctuated a good bit. I spent more time tending the smoker. The Lang retains heat and distributes it more evenly. I really only adjust the temp a couple of times and add wood every 45 mins or so. Its pretty hands off as far as I'm concerned. I really like the Lang in terms of how it cooks. The workmanship is another issue and leaves a bit to be desired. I'd find any quality offset with 1/4" steel built localish to you so shipping/pickup is more reasonable. There isn't anything magic or special about the Lang as compared to any other decently built smoker in my opinion.

Edit: I bought my Lang lightly used on craiglist about 10 mins down the road from me for $800.

Langs are Great but 36" smoker are too Small for my Liking.......20 x 42" or better yet 24"x 48" is a Great Size for Home.

^^^This.
When we were in the market for an offset, I was advised by the owner of the BBQ store that the 20"X44" Horizon smoker would have waaaaay more room than we would ever need. Since all we had at the time was a Big green Egg with an 18" dia... cooking grid, this seemed to make sense.

I have regretted listening to him from about the third month of ownership onward. A 24" would have allowed full slabs of spareribs to be placed crosswise in the smoker instead of at an angle, as the 20" requires. This cuts into the space where we would like to place other goodies. I can only imagine how cramped the shorter 36" length would begin to feel.

We never realized that the number of people we cook for and the quantity of food desired in many of our cooks would ever max out that 20X44, but how wrong we were.

I'll defer to the Lang team, but I do believe that shipping a Lang cooker out of state makes it exempt from taxation by Georgia. Of course, they can speak for themselves, but I believe that's how it works.

Shirley Fab has the same disclaimer... I guess you could save a few hundred bucks if you go with a shipper (at least the one I designed).

Just my opinion what ever you do get a 24" diameter as it allows much greater capacity. I have a 24 X 36 LSG and could easily cook for 50 to 60 people without using my warmer.

Back