Thanksgiving Duck

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So earlier I went to the store for Turkey Legs... left with Turkey legs and a Duck... impulse buy. Wife looked at me, grinned, and said... "you know you've never cooked a duck before..."

So yeah, I know you don't cook a duck the same way you cook chicken or turkey. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don"t over cook..I like my duck like this...a chunk of duck 1/2 a jalapeno cream cheese water chestnut wrapped in bacon on the smoker...

I also came home last night with a duck. Never cooked one myself, but I am thinking of slow roasting and being fairly traditional with the flavors.. I have read it is important to poke the skin multiple times with a fork or sharp knife so that during the cooking process a lot of the fat can render off. This supposedly helps you achieve that crispy skin we all love.. We will see.

I usually do one around Christmas, Char Siu style (chinese). You can buy a marinade or make one. I like to put it on the smoker to render the fat and get the smoky flavor, I use cherry wood, then I finish it off on a hot charcoal grill to crisp it up. Experiment with it, they are great bbq'd. Good luck.

Back