Cooking for a larger group. Pork butt cook time

longhair75

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Good morning all.

So far, all of my cooks have been just for my immediate family. There are only four of us, so I have been cooking three to four pound pork butts.

I hooked up with a group of old friends last night. They think it would be a great idea for us to get together for a barbecue, and I volunteered some pulled pork for this. I am pretty confident that I can pull it off, but I am not sure of the timing.

five to six hours for my 3-4 pound pork butts have been fine. I am sure that a larger piece of meat would take longer, and I can do the math.

My question: If I were to do two smaller butts rather than one large one, would my cook time be lower? does adding a second pork butt at the same time affect the cook time?

Thanks in advance

Somewhat - but a 4 lb Butt won't be done in half the time of an 8 lb - more like 80% or so the time. Say an 8 lbr takes 8 hr - 2ea 4's probally take 6-6.5 hrs in my experiences.

Thanks.

I have been allowing 1.5 hours per pound, and it has been working fine for the size I have been cooking I am thinking for the groups size (12 - 14 people) I would need at least ten pounds of pulled pork. Using my calculation, that would mean fifteen hours of cook time.

Three four puonders would, by my calculations, cook in less time.

Its all relative to several variables;
  • smoking temp (Hot n Fast/Low n Slow)
  • available space
  • how well your smoker handle larger quantities of meat.

Please tell us more details about your chosen cooker...

I am cooking with an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn, and I have been cooking at 250 degrees. I am better at fire management than when I started, and it stays pretty stable. I have two thermometers in the lid, and left to right there is about a 5 degree difference.

I am really looking forward to cooking for the group, but I ma not sure when it will take place.

Give yourself extra time, when they hit the temp you are shooting for (I shoot for ≈210), pull them, wrap them, stick them in a cooler.

When it comes time to serve, pull them out, shred/pull, and serve.

Thats how I do it at least. I use my Traegar for my large cooks and I've done four ≈8lb shoulders at once. Whether I do two or four, it usually takes me around 12 hours. (Traegars are a whole different world though, so don't base your times off my experience). I do a BBQ party each summer for 60+ people and cook, brisket, shoulders, and poppers, so pulling things and "keeping" them (and in the shoulders cases, reheating them) until ready to serve is something I've become pretty good at.

I figure about hour per pound and another hour for rest. But every butt is different.
Have your BBQ around supper time or you will be up half the night.
Last weekend I smoked 2 9lb ers @ 275 it took me 4 hours to hit 160. About another 4.5 hours to hit 205.
And that was on a Longhorn like yours.

for the groups size (12 - 14 people) I would need at least ten pounds of pulled pork.
I agree, that will be plenty, and you'd need 20 pounds raw pork to get 10 pounds pulled. W/ sides (coleslaw, beans, mac and cheese) that will be plenty.

Mine also average about 1 1/2 hours per pound. I usually do butts that are around the 8 to 9 lb. range and cook them at around 250, and take them off when they hit 201 deg.

My pork butts are about eight pounds and take some where between eight or nine hours. I cook about 275. I cook my butts to about 203-208.

Sounds like you have a good handle on your fire control so that's a bonus.
Now don't forget each butt is it's own animal and all three may not finish at the same time. So give yourself time. I like to rest the meat no less than 2 hours, I've begun going much longer as of late. But that 2 hours gives you a good amount of wiggle room if one is taking longer. You won't be freaking out trying to get it done or serving it underdone.
The butts I do are 8+ lbs and they take about 10 hours at 250-75, so I always give myself 13 hours for cook time at a minimum. No rushing at the end and it's way less stressful
Good luck you got this

ETA: Bone in wait til it wiggles free. No bone cook til probe tender in the thickest part

Thanks to all once again. I have learned a lot just reading here, and I am confident. Now all I need is for the event to be scheduled. This is a group of people with whom I went to elementary school. I have known these people for 57 years. It is great to reconnect with them. I am sure the BBQ will be a great time

Back