Turkey - Weber Kettle vs Stick Burner

okie smoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 22" Weber Kettle and a New Braunfels Hondo stick burner. I've usually done my turkeys on the stick burner, but I'm tossing around the idea of using the Weber this weekend. I've done a few things with the charcoal and wood chunks lately that I really liked.

I have whole split log mesquite, pecan and hickory, plus a little bit of fruit wood. I also have plenty of apple wood chunks.

So, what say you? Which would you do and why?

Probably stick burner for the best quality smoke and flavor. Either will produce a good bird but given a choice i'd go with the purity of the heat and smoke.

I sort of like the idea of using the kettle. I think it is too easy to oversmoke turkey and would use almost all charcoal with a few chunks of wood. I should mention I have never used a quality stick burner though.

You have done one on the stick burner, now do one on the Kettle and use the snake method!:thumb:

Get a good hot fire going in your offset and jack the heat up to about 350 to 375. You'll have good clean smoke without any fear of a catastrophic flare up.:thumb:

I'm a big fan of turkey in the kettle. Build two fires, one on each side and put a drip pan in the middle and the bird above the pan. Position the grate so the handles are above the fires so you can add additional charcoal as needed. Toss in a chunk or two of fruit wood, preferably cherry for me :-D

My first BBQ memory was from about 35 years ago and I watched middle aged men drink Old Milwaukee and Miller High Life while smoking turkey on a Weber kettle. They used a little apple wood and injected some peanut oil in the bird. It was damn good eats in the late 70's and I think it is still good going now. One of the gentlemen who would throw the parties where the turkeys were cooked passed away this week. Those were some fun times! RIP Marlyn and thanks for the hospitality.

Back