Starting the 20 Series Offset Build(s)

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had posted an earlier thread about starting to make a new series of offset smokers, traditional flow and reverse flows in 20, 24 and 30 inch diameters and a variety of lengths.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234624

Well, this is the start of the 20 Series, the 20 inch diameter X 1/4 inch wall pipe cut for two different size smokers; a 19.5 inch X 30 inch main cooking grate version, and a 19.5 inch X 42 inch "stretched" main cooking grate version. This build thread will be a 30 inch reverse flow and a 42 inch traditional.

smoker1_zpsyth0no7c.jpg

I wanted to do something a little different with this thread and focus on the "how to" more than the final product. There are so many ways to fabricate smokers that I don't even pretend to have the corner on the "how to" market but just thought how I do things might be interesting. So here goes.

First job is breaking down the 21 foot pipe into firebox and cook chamber lengths. I'm using my plasma but this can also be done with an oxy-acetylene torch or (if you are a real glutton for punishment) a cutoff wheel on a grinder. I'm not great at free hand cutting so I've equipped my plasma torch with a cutting guide that lets you adjust the standoff properly and even angle it if you need a bevel cut.

2016-08-142007.00.54_zps7xokdeqq.jpg

For cutting pipe (or tanks), I've fabricated jig, just a ring of 1/8 inch X 1 inch flat stock that clamps around the pipe to run the torch guide against.

2016-08-142007.29.04_zps7xpzanaq.jpg

From the edge of the guide wheels to the center of the plasma arc is exactly 1 inch so it is a simple matter of setting the guide at the desired length plus 1 inch; in this example a 16 inch firebox + 1 inch = 17 inches. Also in this shot you can see one of four upside down movers dolly's the pipe is sitting on to allow me to rotate the pipe under the plasma torch to maintain a good cut angle.

2016-08-142007.26.43_zpsdemuwdqc.jpg

A couple shots making the cuts:

2016-08-142007.34.51_zpsmgfvl3nw.jpg

2016-08-142007.40.01_zps5z7hw9hu.jpg

And an example of just how true and clean you can cut if you just take your time.

2016-08-142010.11.08_zpscg3tu9if.jpg

After a couple hours work, two smokers cut out: on the right a 16 inch firebox and 37 inch cook chamber for the 2030 model; and, on the left an 18 inch firebox an 49 inch cook chamber for the 2042 "stretch".

2016-08-142011.11.03_zpscnotnoze.jpg

And putting the extra +11 feet of pipe (enough for at least a couple more smokers) away with another handy little tool :becky:

2016-08-142010.50.43-1_zpsa26lhhs5.jpg

I've got a steel delivery scheduled for late next week and will be back to cut out the end caps, firebox door and dampers out of 1/4 in plate, again using the plasma torch and my circle cutting jigs.

Thanks for checking in.

Awesome Dave, thanks for sharing with us!

I have a grapple for my big skid steer and they are really handy.

Great start Dave, I'm looking forward to following along! I believe your build threads are an invaluable tool for the DIYer, without costing the pro pit-builders (including YOU now!) any sales. I don't think anyone is sitting on the fence about buying a Fisk/Shirley/Lang etc, and will decide to build their own "since Dave made it look so easy and showed me how to do it!". On the other hand, the detail you include in these threads is immensely helpful to 1st timers like myself!

I've got a 1/4" wall, 120 gal 304SS 27" diameter tank with dome caps, and some seamless 1/4" x 20" 304SS tube for the firebox that I'm slowly accumulating additional materials for, to do a RF horizontal, probably some time next year. This thread, and other generously detailed build threads by Brethren are GREATLY appreciated by me!

In the meanwhile, I'm hoping to knock out that vertical stainless insulated cabinet/tank build we emailed about awhile back; I think it'll pay in dividends over the cold winters here!

I just dug through your older build threads (thanks to links by SmittyJones) and I'm not sure how I missed them before, but all of it is very impressive! I'm a big fan of "do it all the way or don't do it at all" so I'm looking forward to seeing this one unfold!

Thanks for the build thread. This might take so of the anxiety out of welding mine up.

Thanks for the build thread. This might take so of the anxiety out of welding mine up.

Welding has been so intimidating to me... This might help ease me into it..

If you are really interested you can make a stick welder work for sure but a medium sized (140-200 amp) mig w/gas is (IMO) the way to go. Odds are you will be welding 1/8-1/4 inch materials so my best suggestion is to get a bunch of scrap and PRACTICE. Get a good book or look at online videos but nothing beats practice.

Dave as always, very cool stuff. Im a sucker for cool tools! Just took delivery of a new Plasma, my new build will start soon, maybe initial cook on labor day :)

awesomeness right here! love your builds man! i still want that mini insulated thing u made once lol

Very nice Dave!
Are you or have you built a fixture to hold the firebox to main tank yet? One for cutting each of the doors and end pieces for the exhaust. Since your going to be building multiple smokers. I'd suggest fixtures for alot of the the stuff your going to be making. Takes time to design and make them, but in the long run, no more measuring, adjusting etc and can speed up every build. Just a thought.
Lots of strong magnets too! :clap:

Very nice Dave!
Are you or have you built a fixture to hold the firebox to main tank yet? One for cutting each of the doors and end pieces for the exhaust. Since your going to be building multiple smokers. I'd suggest fixtures for alot of the the stuff your going to be making. Takes time to design and make them, but in the long run, no more measuring, adjusting etc and can speed up every build. Just a thought.
Lots of strong magnets too! :clap:

Thanks Tom. Yep I'll be fabricating several fixtures, jigs and templates as I go. For the cook chamber I'm either going to buy or build pipefitters' adjustable jack stands and something similar for the firebox based on a hydraulic floor jack. One thing I'm trying to incorporate in these tools is the flexibility to handle pipe from 20 inches up to 30 inches (or more).

Back