Flipping your brisket...

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The last couple of brisket smokes on my LSG cabinet have produced some good brisket, but the bottom of the brisket gets a little crispy. I do not wrap, I let it run nekkid all the way through, and I am cooking at low to mid level temps (225* to start - 275* later to finish) and I am not using the lower grate, so not sure why the bottom is getting so done. I was thinking of either flipping the brisket over and going fat cap down, or flipping the brisket mid way through the cook.

What are your thoughts? A little concerned that I'll mess up the bark if I go to flip it.

I usually don't either, but that has nothing to do with the bottom getting crispy...

I flip my pork butts/ chuck roasts etc... in the 007 w/out issue on the bark Terry. Well when I'm not using the roti since it's constantly flipping.

If the bottom is getting crispy the heat is definitely drying it out. You can flip the meat and it will solve your problem. You can also cook fat cap down the entire time and it will allow more fat to render from the cap and you might not need to flip it.

Another thing you can do is use some sort of heat diverter. A pan/foil on the bottom rack under the meat etc. That way the radiant heat doesn't scorch the bottom of the meat.

in your cooker the heat is coming from the bottom so most do fat cap towards the heat. that being said you could also flip halfway thru the cook. either should work but i would go fat cap down.

I don't open the lid till 4-6 hours out when I wrap it. If I flipped it I don't think the end product would turn out "looking" good because the bottom normally sticks to my grate a little which means I lose some skin or meat.

Put a pan of water under it...... Cooker cooks to dry it sounds like.

I start with fat cap down (towards the heat) and flip it midway.

I do not wrap or flip a brisket. Try to run a bowl of water in the cook chamber and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. This cabinet has a water pan that I do not use. I have a couple Terra Cotta planter bases wrapped in foil to use as a heat sync in the water pan. I also have dripping pans on the bottom grate at this time. I haven't had a cook big enough to use all four grates yet, so that helps with clean up.

I think I will try fat cap down this weekend and see how it comes out. I'd rather not have to flip half way through, but if that is what it takes, I will. As a last resort, I'll try a little water, but that is not something I really want to do.

I bet that fat cap down method will do the trick, Terry. Otherwise you might do a paper-wrap about 5 hours in.
Let us know how it goes!

Way back when, we used to flip the briskets and move them from rack to rack. I don't know if it was really necessary, but, that is how Mr. Wally taught me. And it was his BBQ joint, so we did it. It was done twice during cooking, to get things evened out.

I have done so on my UDS, however, I don't feel it has been necessary. I do lose some fat cap occasionally as it sticks to the grate, but, nobody complains.

Way back when, we used to flip the briskets and move them from rack to rack. I don't know if it was really necessary, but, that is how Mr. Wally taught me. And it was his BBQ joint, so we did it. It was done twice during cooking, to get things evened out.

I have done so on my UDS, however, I don't feel it has been necessary. I do lose some fat cap occasionally as it sticks to the grate, but, nobody complains.

Something along these lines when using a UDS, PBC etc. I go fat cap down. Even on the PBC or UDS, that fat cap will render down and most times stays stuck on the grate when I pull the brisket off. Same with butts. If you use foil or paper, keep in mind that the paper or foil may also end up sticking to it if it gets to that point. I don't use deflectors or water pans. I just pretty much go in knowing that the fat cap is going to get sacrificed as a "barrier" and will probably stay stuck on the grates. So, flipping may be a good idea. One that I plan to keep in mind and try in the future.

Bob

I like to flip my briskets. I cook on an offset stick burner not a vertical. Flipping and rotating keeps things even.

As to using the fat cap as a sacrifice and leaving on the grate your leaving the best part in the cooker. fat cap that turns into bark is delicious.

Always always always point the fat cap toward the heat.

If it's coming from below, cook them suckers cap-down.

So, I did up this 16 + pound Prime packer brisket this weekend. Really good marbling, and nice and floppy:

4A5559A7-33A6-4C74-BBB1-1082FB58ECBB_zpscb8v02mt.jpg

0A7D151B-76B3-45DF-9FE0-98008C7D26B8_zpsmedymqxf.jpg

Fired the smoker up around midnight and had the brisket on before 1 am. I went with the fat cap side down the whole the time to try to stop that crunchy bottom I was experiencing. A couple hours in, looked fine:

C72B55E9-5877-4729-B367-4205F1AF6652_zpsjhsafxgx.jpg

I ran the smoker all night around 225* and then turned it up to 275* around 10 am in preparation for some ribs I was going to do. Brisket was probe tender and off before 2 pm. I let it rest on the counter for about 15 minutes, and then put it in the oven to continue to rest.

E5D2228C-647F-43CE-B59A-E2DBEC6F5A5E_zpswjkmcu62.jpg

I pulled it out of the now warm oven around 4:30 and sliced it up. I separated the point from the flat and went to carve the upside down flat (what would be the bottom or opposite the fat cap up) and my knife had a hard time going through. Flipped it over and it would slice easily through it until it got to bottom and then I had to rock the knife to get through the crust. <sigh> The point sliced effortlessly. Other than that, it was perfect. Even got a little smoke ring!

F0A869FA-62A7-474E-8A7F-F9163599A7DE_zpst1xtymy3.jpg

0FEAF8C2-6707-4B0E-A4B8-25BDE79CB621_zpsjcx0auh2.jpg

I told the neighbor I was firing her up and he bought two racks of full spares. They didn't turn out too bad either. I packaged them up for him and he said "No, one racks for you". Nice guy.

052A9530-F25A-485D-9852-CF560963D5D8_zpsvx2ip2ui.jpg

So, I guess I try wrapping in butcher paper next time.

Back