New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

Congrats!! You gonna love it Mista Heath oh & would ya send yer sister Audra round with some vittles what come off it :wink:

I just looked and noticed the price hike, too. I love the Bludawg theory. Honestly, between Blu and Smitty, I have somewhat convinced myself I need one of these or one of their offsets :)

I also just looked at Academy and I don't see the $499 offset there anymore (the Wrangler?). Might have just missed it but didn't see it at a quick glimpse.

I'd still be up for the over/under for $599. The only thing is that the more the price goes up, the closer it gets to the Meadow Creek SQ36 or the Yoder Cheyenne, which I have been assuming are sort of a cut above.

Isn't the Cheyenne a Dinky lil 16" pipe .....?

We'll hold that thought. I decided to go to Academy to see what was in and ponder. They had new smokers in and there at the very end was the lone over and under. I could tell right off that it had the new doors. I went to look for the price tag.....$499.99!!!!! I ran home borrowed a truck, I have an Xterra, got my smoker fund and raced back to the store. I told the guy up front what I wanted. He grabbed the price tag, I grabbed some thermometers. When the cashier rang the smokers tag, it came up $599.99. I stopped her and showed her the tag. I got it for $499. I guess they printed off the tag before they did the increase and never changed it. Their loss, my gain. They loaded it up and off I went. It's now sitting on the patio. I'll get some photos later.
:clap: :thumb:

You will need to mod the fire grate. Brace it cuz it bows down once hot and add more slits so ash can fall.

I know. I don't have the skills to make something nice. I was thinking of using some expanded metal and SS bolts to make a platform to make fire on. I have a nephew who can fabricate stuff, but he's a couple hours away.

I know. I don't have the skills to make something nice. I was thinking of using some expanded metal and SS bolts to make a platform to make fire on. I have a nephew who can fabricate stuff, but he's a couple hours away.

Bolt angle iron to underside, use grinder and cut more slots or drill a bunch of 1/2" holes between the slits. Only need to do the center 1/3. Local small time fab shop could knock it out, or high school metal shop class. Even a bored muffler shop.

3/8 bar stock spaced @ 1/2.
IMG_20160119_150010.jpg

FYI, I just bought this smoker today in store for $499. The price online has also gone back to $499 and shows as a "Hot Deal." I decided to pull the trigger before the price goes back up.

I have one of the original Over/Under pits. Bought it June of 2014. Drove from Austin to Laredo (4 hours one way) so I could tour the warehouse and pick out the best one. Problem is that their address in Laredo is a PO Box rental shop..... Couldn't get anyone to answer the phone while I was there, so turned around and bought one at Academy in San Marcos on my way home.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, it's a great pit. However I would really like to see some photos of the "new" firebox door. It is perhaps my biggest issue with it. Mine warps open when temps get a little high, which lets more air in, raising temps further. I've taken to putting 20lbs of weights on a chain which I hang from the handle. It mostly works, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Oh, also, have they improved the paint? Mine is looking like a rust magnet now. I'll have to grind the rust off and hit it with some high temp paint before the summer season.

All in all, 8/10, would buy again.

The warehouse is not Open to Public. All offsets Rust.

We learned the hard way that warehouse is not open to public. We had called well in advance and spoken with the owner who simply told us to "Come on down". Based upon that, I rented an enclosed trailer and we went on a boondoggle. The day was not wasted, had a great trip with The Pretty One, and I did end up bringing home a fantastic smoker.

I still want to try grinding on it and repainting it with super hi-temp black paint. At least I will be able to say that I tried. I know, I'll be like :frusty:

Back