THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You guys think the Over Under is better than the $399 or $499 offsets from Old Country/Academy?

And for $80, I can be semi-confident one will arrive not destroyed?

This seems like a great intro to all wood bbq...

Depends on what you mean by better. The O/U is not a traditional offset it is more like a RF with better baffling. The only similarity between a traditional offset and the O/U is they both burn wood. I'll never go back to a traditional offset the flavor I get on the O/U alone sold me on the design.

I have to chime in here now. I took the plunge and bought an O/U Friday and cooked on it Saturday. I've been needing a better stick burner for my house so I can practice flavor profiles while I'm saving for my competition smoker.

I have a couple of different smokers I use at my house. One is a rec tec pellet smoker and I also use a 22" WSM. Both I love, both are great, but both have there limitations. My pellet is awesome at use and putting down one heck of a smoke ring but light on the smoke flavor. My WSM is great at flavor but sucks because you can only cook so much on it and it's a pain to take apart and clean.

The O/U runs great and holds temps well! Tried out ribs this weekend and they came out great! For $499 you really can't beat the price, plus the size of the area you can cook on is great! One note I'm glad I waited to purchase though as I had planned to get one earlier last year and now I got the one that has the new overlapping door design.

1e06a2de-a79c-4917-81a0-539f0723285b_zpstgpkhayz.jpg

1e06a2de-a79c-4917-81a0-539f0723285b_zpstgpkhayz.jpg

I wouldn't say it's better - it's different - no Hot Spots, but some guys actually like the temp difference on an offset. I don't but some do - they put Chicken on Hot end and Brisket on cooler end. The offsets can be evened out with tuning plates or convection plates but more like 20-25* degree differential.

The Wrangler is smaller than I like. The Pecos is Nice size for average backyard BBQ guy and close to size of O/U cooking grate but O/U has a top grate increasing its capacity. You could add a top grate to Pecos either welding in angle or building a removable grate with legs/ feet that sits on regular grate but it may be Hotter on top grate.

I think the O/U would be easier for a Newb cooking multiple meats ( even multi of same cut) but there have been some Newbs who said they couldn't run it and returned it for the Wrangler or Pecos.

I can not speak on Shipping as I've not heard anyone who has ordered one shipped.

Depends on what you mean by better. The O/U is not a traditional offset it is more like a RF with better baffling. The only similarity between a traditional offset and the O/U is they both burn wood. I'll never go back to a traditional offset the flavor I get on the O/U alone sold me on the design.

Thank you both! Very helpful replies. I know I've been waffling on this board for a few months with smoker envy. I am 95% sure I will add a new cooker to my arsenal before the summer. I just keep going back and forth on what it will be :)

I have been waffling on this for too long and now it appears that the price has increased to $599.99. I wander if the updated doors is the reason for the increase?

I've been watching both BluDawg & Smitty's experiences with interest in both as I'm down to these 2 or maybe an Assassin grill for my upgrade. I wish the Academy I mostly shop at paid better attention to the smokers it puts out for sale as they seem to run full price for scratch & dented merchandise rather than send back as damaged in shipping unless it's their staff unloading it causing that damage

I've been watching both BluDawg & Smitty's experiences with interest in both as I'm down to these 2 or maybe an Assassin grill for my upgrade. I wish the Academy I mostly shop at paid better attention to the smokers it puts out for sale as they seem to run full price for scratch & dented merchandise rather than send back as damaged in shipping unless it's their staff unloading it causing that damage

Having been at OC's warehouse and seeing the care which the pits are palatelitzed & the trailers are loaded it is my opinion damages happen on Acadmys dime.

I just looked and noticed the price hike, too. I love the Bludawg theory. Honestly, between Blu and Smitty, I have somewhat convinced myself I need one of these or one of their offsets :)

I also just looked at Academy and I don't see the $499 offset there anymore (the Wrangler?). Might have just missed it but didn't see it at a quick glimpse.

I'd still be up for the over/under for $599. The only thing is that the more the price goes up, the closer it gets to the Meadow Creek SQ36 or the Yoder Cheyenne, which I have been assuming are sort of a cut above.

The thing that continues to potentially differentiate these, though, is shipping. Seems the Cheyenne costs $300+ to ship to NJ. I think the Meadow Creek is the same. Whereas Academy lists $80 to ship the over/under. That said, I have seen unboxing vids of the Cheyenne, and it looks like it gets packed well enough to withstand a nuclear blast. So I think you might get what you pay for in terms of quality shipping.

I just looked and noticed the price hike, too. I love the Bludawg theory. Honestly, between Blu and Smitty, I have somewhat convinced myself I need one of these or one of their offsets :)

I also just looked at Academy and I don't see the $499 offset there anymore (the Wrangler?). Might have just missed it but didn't see it at a quick glimpse.

I'd still be up for the over/under for $599. The only thing is that the more the price goes up, the closer it gets to the Meadow Creek SQ36 or the Yoder Cheyenne, which I have been assuming are sort of a cut above.

The thing that continues to potentially differentiate these, though, is shipping. Seems the Cheyenne costs $300+ to ship to NJ. I think the Meadow Creek is the same. Whereas Academy lists $80 to ship the over/under. That said, I have seen unboxing vids of the Cheyenne, and it looks like it gets packed well enough to withstand a nuclear blast. So I think you might get what you pay for in terms of quality shipping.

Wrangler is still made but it's too small for my liking. I like the size of the Pecos and O/U. Yoder and MeadowCreek are nicer/better quality but that's why they cost more. Food ain't gonna be any better.
Old Country fills the void between the $200-$300 junk and the Nicer stuff- and they are priced accordingly. I keep hearing guys say Academy will ship for $80 but I don't know - havnt heard of anyone actually getting one shipped.

Awesome. Meanwhile, incredibly stupid question - this is the same Old Country Pits as the ones sold at Academy, correct? If so, why isn't the Over/Under listed on this site? Is that specifically branded for Academy?

http://www.bbquepits.com/backyard_bbq_pits.htm

Same Company. He had a Nicer Heavier gauge custom build line and a more affordable line. Once he hooked up with Academy the less expensive stuff took off and it's all they can do to keep up with Academy. He said he hasn't even updated that Website for 4 years. He is expanding and once they are running 100 % with Academy stuff he will look at building up the custom side again, but he said Academy says they are going Nation Wide in next few years and he says he's going with them so may be a while. Old Country BBQ Pits are made in Mexico because the owner was made in Mexico. :mrgreen: They now warehouse and office in Laredo but production is still in Mexico.

Wrangler is still made but it's too small for my liking. I like the size of the Pecos and O/U. Yoder and MeadowCreek are nicer/better quality but that's why they cost more. Food ain't gonna be any better.
Old Country fills the void between the $200-$300 junk and the Nicer stuff- and they are priced accordingly. I keep hearing guys say Academy will ship for $80 but I don't know - havnt heard of anyone actually getting one shipped.

Yeah I don't think I've heard anyone here say they got it shipped for $80. I am referring to what their website says. Maybe Old Country does the well-packed robust custom shipping Blu mentions above and that they describe on their web site? And maybe Academy has a bigger distribution network due to their network of stores and products and can, therefore, ship sort of in bulk at a lower cost?

Note - I have no idea if that's true....just pondering.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-over-and-under-smoker?repChildCatid=1277366

Academy+Over+Under.jpg

Same Company. He had a Nicer Heavier gauge custom build line and a more affordable line. Once he hooked up with Academy the less expensive stuff took off and it's all they can do to keep up with Academy. He said he hasn't even updated that Website for 4 years. He is expanding and once they are running 100 % with Academy stuff he will look at building up the custom side again, but he said Academy says they are going Nation Wide in next few years and he says he's going with them so may be a while. Old Country BBQ Pits are made in Mexico because the owner was made in Mexico. :mrgreen: They now warehouse and office in Laredo but production is still in Mexico.

Awesome - thank you, Smitty! Great info!

I saw that yesterday - $599. I think it's called inflation aka You Snooze You Lose......:shock:

We'll hold that thought. I decided to go to Academy to see what was in and ponder. They had new smokers in and there at the very end was the lone over and under. I could tell right off that it had the new doors. I went to look for the price tag.....$499.99!!!!! I ran home borrowed a truck, I have an Xterra, got my smoker fund and raced back to the store. I told the guy up front what I wanted. He grabbed the price tag, I grabbed some thermometers. When the cashier rang the smokers tag, it came up $599.99. I stopped her and showed her the tag. I got it for $499. I guess they printed off the tag before they did the increase and never changed it. Their loss, my gain. They loaded it up and off I went. It's now sitting on the patio. I'll get some photos later.

Back