Northerners need to chill out about vinegar sauce

twinsfan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
SMH. Northerners with no 'cue experience need to expand their taste palettes from Kraft sweet crap. I'm a big fan of Sweet Baby Rays and other bottled KC style sauces with sugar and ketchup, but vinegar sauce is good and people around here freak out when they hear vinegar is in my PP dip.
That is all.

/rant

Last edited:
I make my version of a Carolina Sauce for PP and people either love it, or hate it. You can't please everybody.

The two styles are distinctly different in about every aspect. I wouldn't expect most people to love both of them. I live in NC and I'm not a big fan of the vinegar based sauces either but I will eat them. If I have a choice I lean toward the sweeter sauces.

My roots are in upstate NY & I love my g-pa's vinegar based basting sauce for chicken. Can I get some love for it out here in KS? Heck no, so I hear ya brother.

Just a matter of taste. I like both but don't care if someone else doesn't. Can't make them like something they don't like. No big thang!
It's weird but kinda the same thing around here. People think it's odd to put slaw on a PP sandwich. I like both mayo or vinegar based but around here no one serves it that way. I have converted several though.

That's when I place the Tennessee red in a dipping bowl... and not tell them... as the only option.

People will quickly change their minds if they don't know what's in the sauce, first.

Last edited:
I'm not from any part of the US, in fact you could say that I'm from so far South I call Key West Yanqui. I like most every style of sauce out there, but most of the time at home I go naked... :shock: ...unsauced BBQ is my favorite.

I'm from ny and last year I made pulled pork and made some Carolina style sauce I think it was. Pretty much was just all vinegar. Or I made it wrong. But it was just dumping vinegar on the pork. No good. I can see a vinegar BASED sauce but not just 99% vinegar

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Doing my best to convert folks one weekend at a time up here west of Boston. I cut sweet baby rays heavily with cider vinegar and it's always big hit. And they don't realize the path they are now headed down!

I was born in Jersey, live in Texas, and have pretty diverse taste interests. I do like a vinegar sauce on pulled pork, but not on much of anything else. I like a sweet/hot sauce on beef, and prefer my ribs without sauce.

To appreciate different ways of eating BBQ, you really should try them. It took me a lot of tasting to develop my own personal preferences.

Where you really cheat yourself is by just eating things the way you grew up eating them, and assuming that it is the "right way" to eat it.

When I serve BBQ to family and friends, I serve it with sauce on the side, so people can do their own thing. I encourage people to experiment with sauces.

CD

I add just a touch of a vinegar based sauce to my PP when I pull it. It adds a layer of flavor that completes it. Oh and I'm from the N.E.

I'm from ny and last year I made pulled pork and made some Carolina style sauce I think it was. Pretty much was just all vinegar. Or I made it wrong. But it was just dumping vinegar on the pork. No good. I can see a vinegar BASED sauce but not just 99% vinegar

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Now that sounds pretty gross (and I'm from Eastern NC).

That's too bad. Why can't one appreciate the cooks offering as it is and not be so narrow minded...or are you just interpreting it that way?

Jesus Christ. Northerners with no 'cue experience need to expand their taste palettes from Kraft sweet crap. I'm a big fan of Sweet Baby Rays and other bottled KC style sauces with sugar and ketchup, but vinegar sauce is good and people around here freak out when they hear vinegar is in my PP dip.
That is all.

/rant

I dont know if you've had the opportunity to try Blues Hog Tennessee Red. If not, do yourself a favor and try some. It is without any doubt THE BOMB.

I serve food to please the people that I am feeding, not to please my own palate. That may seem odd, but, I truly cook for myself when I am at home feeding myself. But, when I am feeding others, I want them to enjoy the food, if they want something other than the norm, I would let them have it as they would.

Out here, there are several fine dining places that offer no table condiments, not even salt or pepper, as the chef is of the opinion that the food is presented properly seasoned and requires no other additions. To me, this sounds arrogant, it may be correct in a lot of ways, but, it is arrogant as well.

Jesus Christ. Northerners with no 'cue experience need to expand their taste palettes from Kraft sweet crap. I'm a big fan of Sweet Baby Rays and other bottled KC style sauces with sugar and ketchup, but vinegar sauce is good and people around here freak out when they hear vinegar is in my PP dip.
That is all.

/rant

Hmmm...

Last time I checked, BBQ as we know it today was developed by a Detroiter, one Mr. Henry Ford, who invented charcoal briquettes and popularized road picnic/BBQ's. The Weber was also developed, you guessed it, in the North:

http://www.weber.com/weber/story

Ya know, people can be sooo picky. I guess I am about certain things (seafood comes to mind) but if I am a guest and you cooked something for me that was, say, not in my normal flavor pallete range, I would still eat it, most likely enjoy it too. Outside of the box people, outside of the box.

Hmmm...

Last time I checked, BBQ as we know it today was developed by a Detroiter, one Mr. Henry Ford, who invented charcoal briquettes and popularized road picnic/BBQ's. The Weber was also developed, you guessed it, in the North:

http://www.weber.com/weber/story

"The charcoal briquette was first invented and patented by Ellsworth B. A. Zwoyer of Pennsylvania in 1897[2] and was produced by the Zwoyer Fuel Company. The process was further popularized by Henry Ford, who used wood and sawdust byproducts from automobile fabrication as a feedstock. Ford Charcoal went on to become the Kingsford Company."

Just saying...

Back