Newest Old Country Pit - Smokehouse Vertical

Well thats too far from me unless you like to Drive... but somebody on here oughta be closer and could do it....... or look at Craigslist ads or do a wanted Ad....

Ask the Mods if you can do a Help me mod this grate post......

had lunch with a couple friends yesterday. one i hadn't talked to for a bit. turns out he's the office manager for a local machine shop. told him about the grate issue he said if i brought him a sheet, he'd have one of his guys cut it to size for free. so, that's what i'm gonna do, except i'm gonna take a few sheets.

had lunch with a couple friends yesterday. one i hadn't talked to for a bit. turns out he's the office manager for a local machine shop. told him about the grate issue he said if i brought him a sheet, he'd have one of his guys cut it to size for free. so, that's what i'm gonna do, except i'm gonna take a few sheets.

take the grate too and have them cut out the center and replace with 2 layers of expanded 90* to each - criss crossed.

There's a local steel supply company that I hate. Biggest concentration of *******s in the area. However they sell a 4x8 sheet of really heavy duty expanded metal for I believe $50. I have the tools and decades of experience with metal fabrication to redo the fire grate. Plus my Brother would like to have a fire grate for his Santa Maria. Might be worth confronting those jerks at the steel company.

Old Country Smokehouse

Hello Folks,

New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Andrew and I live near Ponchatoula, Louisiana and have been outdoor cooking for many years. I recently began making sausage and quickly realized my faithful and hardworking Master Forge combo smoker wasn't going to be able to handle the volume I was making.

I looked around the internet and local stores and found the Smokehouse at Academy and after reading the reviews (thanks guys) on this forum I bought it yesterday, got it home and started seasoning it.

Overall I think the unit is well made, very solid and will do what I want it to do at a very affordable price. At some point I'll add more angle iron above the tray holder so the tray will stay level as it is pulled out of the smoker.

Andrew

Last edited:
After two days of seasoning the smoker and figuring out it's heating patterns I smoked 4 brined chickens yesterday. I used apple wood and ran the smoker at 200 degrees and the cook went about 7 hours. They came out fantastic and I'm pretty impressed with the smoker. Not sure if I could have gotten a better one at the price Academy had.

Let's see some pictures! Congrats on the purchase. That was one of the smokers on my wish list before I found my Lang.

I set up the chicken on the middle rack due to it being the hottest overall location. I figured it would be easier that way. I did notice I'll have to run a fair amount of wood through this baby to get the heat much above 200 degrees.

I included the picture of the sausage because it's cool and they are the reason I bought the larger smoker. It took me two full days with the smaller smoker to get it all done.

Attachments

• First cook.jpg
    First cook.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 312
  • Sausage ready to smoke.jpg
    Sausage ready to smoke.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 310
  • Old Country Smokehouse.jpg
    Old Country Smokehouse.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 312
Do they ever do discounted, or free shipping? 1K miles from a store and they want 147.50 for shipping.

Last Saturday I smoked a 16lb brisket, 2 butts and 28 sausage links on mine. Made about 25 people happy.

I set up the chicken on the middle rack due to it being the hottest overall location. I figured it would be easier that way. I did notice I'll have to run a fair amount of wood through this baby to get the heat much above 200 degrees.

I included the picture of the sausage because it's cool and they are the reason I bought the larger smoker. It took me two full days with the smaller smoker to get it all done.

Looks great !!!!

Seems like you'd be able to cook 12 butts in there with ease....4 per grate.

Rotate the top and bottom grates during the cook.

Capacity looks really nice on that monster.

That fridge full of sausage is making me drool....

So without going through all 21 pages how is this thing? I saw it at academy and was very intrigued. Are old country pits good? How do they compare to a Shirley

So without going through all 21 pages how is this thing? I saw it at academy and was very intrigued. Are old country pits good? How do they compare to a Shirley

Apples and oranges. Or more like Ford Taurus and a Corevette.

The Shirley is top of the line.

The Old Country will get you to work every day. Lots of decent feedback on the Old Country Smokehouse for a $699 smoker.

Shirley is Much Nicer, Better Quality but 4 times the Price. If you can cook the food won't be No Better on the Shirley just might be a little bit easier, the pit will last much longer and you can show off the Beautiful Welds to all your friends......

After looking at the Shirley website, I'd say the price. I didn't see any models they offer that are designed like the Old Country.

After looking at the Shirley website, I'd say the price. I didn't see any models they offer that are designed like the Old Country.

Here's something like an Old Country Vertical... it's about 3 years old but they do custom jobs...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke1RTzbO2pw&t"]Shirley fabrication custom vertical cooker - YouTube[/ame]

Back