backwoods smokers chubby 3400

TommyH

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Backwoods coming out with new smoker in spring of 2017. Cost is only $699.
Same dimensions as the Cubby model for a lot less....Cant wait for some smoker reviews.

Good price for people on a limited budget.

But the Chubby 3400 is not Made in the USA.

i like the size more than my Red Box Smoker. 1" taller cook chamber, 4" wider and 4" deeper racks make it big enough for small briskets. the shipping will probably be reasonable too. even at $699 vs $425 i think the bigger size is worth the price difference.

edit: you also get a better thermometer in a better location, better intakes, better latches and a heat diverter. i just hope the door gaskets are not the cheap foam rubber ones.

Last edited:
^^^Where does it say that?[/QUOTI

I spoke to someone who knows all about the Chubby 3400. Also, go to Backwoods website and look at all the pictures for each model. You see a U.S. Flag sticker on the bottom right side of the smoker. But look at the Chubby 3400 picture, no U.S. Flag sticker. How do you think Backwoods can sell the Chubby 3400 at $699?

I wonder if the 3400 is an insulated reverse flow smoker like the other backwoods models ?

Guessing Lambert was impressed with what the factory did with the Red Box Smoker (BWS Patio) and BWS is giving them a shot with the Chubby.

Guessing Lambert was impressed with what the factory did with the Red Box Smoker (BWS Patio) and BWS is giving them a shot with the Chubby.

that was my thought too. once i figured out the fuel amount on my Red Box it is a solid little cooker.

I ordered a 3400 up today, My first dedicated smoker! Will report on how I thing it is when I get it

I'd love to have one...already put the bug in the missus' ear. If they are stocked in Shreveport...that's just a short ride down I-20 from Dallas. I think the freight would be $200.00- I can drive that in an easy day for not much in gas.

Greg at Ballistic BBQ on You Tube did a rib cook video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1357ox3yr8"]Smoked Babyback Ribs On the Backwoods Smoker Chubby 3400 - YouTube[/ame]

I've never seen a Backwoods in person but this looks like thinner metal to me.

Looks like a decent little cooker in the video, but looking at their web site it says the racks are 15.5x16.5. Seems a little short for a full rack of ribs.

The ribs in the video seemed to fit fine. Guessing if you did a slab of untrimmed spares, you'd run into problems. Appears to be a nice cooker for the price. Just like with the Red Box, I'm sure that some of the Brethren will buy and do some reviews. The fellow in the video had not one bad thing to say about the 3400...Brethren are a bit more "honest" with their personal reviews. I want the good and the bad.

Back