Quick and Dirty Brisket

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Going to the UP next weekend and my buddies want brisket. My plan is to haul up my UDS, go to Costco and grab a 12# or so packer. What I need is the method. I know rub it down, fat side is sideways, and cook until probe tender.

1.) When do I cut the point from the flat?
2.) Do I then make the point into burnt ends?
3.) How about wrap the flat and put it back on until probe tender?
4.) Then wrap in towels, cooler and rest for a few more hours?
5.) Slice against the grain......right?

I need so guidance.............:drama:

This works quite well, I personally enjoy the point as is so I don't make burnt ends although I have in the past. If you want to make them I would separate after the Brisket is pulled, cube and sauce /season then back on the drum for about 20-30 min to let the sauce firm up.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

This works quite well, I personally enjoy the point as is so I don't make burnt ends although I have in the past. If you want to make them I would separate after the Brisket is pulled, cube and sauce /season then back on the drum for about 20-30 min to let the sauce firm up.

What are my other options with the point..............:noidea:

What are my other options with the point..............:noidea:

Don't separate it from the flat when you pull it to paper and just keep on smoking the entire thing.

The point is still going to be like meat candy...just cube it once the whole thing is done.

I'll defer to the experts though...I only just got wood after all.

I prefer to seperate and boil the point. Add your rub only AFTER you boil, then put it in the crock pot for approx 14 hours. The flat does well in crock pot too, but I prefer to grind it before adding it in for some extra texture. Hope this helps.

Lots of ways to do it. Depends on do you want hotnfast, L&S. Are you camping? Staying in a camper, cabin. Do you want to spend alot of time letting everyone smell that thing for hours and hours :mrgreen:
Cook mid afternoon, start early morning.
I prefer a longer rest than most that post here. Which I can hold at 150* in my electric roaster.
You can go for the bark you want/prefer. Do you prefer crisp bark or softer bark.... paper wrap vs foil. Real crisp go nekid.
Most depends on what time line you have available.
Are you using a drip pan for some of the cook to catch the drippins? Whooo drippins!
You want to really spoil them, smoke the fat you trim off with your rub, smoke for about 6 hrs. And you have BEEF bacon!
Lots of choices.

The Mother of all brisket tutorials. Have Fun!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

On edit, make sure you get Choice grade of better.
On double edit, vent the brisket after you pull it probe tender until it cools down to an IT of about 150*F or it will continue to cook in the cooler and be too flakey to slice right.

Last edited:
Lots of great tips thanks. We shall be on the shores of Lake Superior with no place to go. I am not gonna over think it, this time. I wanna put it on, smell the aroma and relax. :thumb:

Lots of great tips thanks. We shall be on the shores of Lake Superior with no place to go. I am not gonna over think it, this time. I wanna put it on, smell the aroma and relax. :thumb:
Worst thing you can do is over think it and start to 2nd guess yourself.

Drink an adult beverage and enjoy the cook :thumb:

Back