Chicken skin

Mike Broughton

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
17a7fdb3bd758346d6964f74d01da28f.jpg

Chicken turned out tasty but I didn't get the skin the way I wanted. It was chewy but not to bad. The kettle was at around 325 degrees any ideal what I did wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaving the chicken exposed to the air in the frig overnight helps to dry it out, leading to crisped skin, but only if it is exposed to the heat directly afterwards. Unless you sauced in the last 15-20 minutes, the sauce prevented the skin from hardening.

I have always rinced my chicken I cold water the pat dry then apply my rub I am starting to like Stubb's it's really good and cheap I have my Weber kettle at 325 and the skin is always spot on maybe I'm just lucky but if your cooking at 325 your skin should be bite thru hope you get it figured out good luck

I sauced right at the end last 15 minutes or so. I took it straight from the package patted it dry put a little salt on it about 10 minutes later applied the rub let sei at room temp until I got the kettle ready. I'll try leaving uncovered in the fridge Overnight next time. Are you saying cook it direct.

Basically, if it will work for frying, you will get crisp skin. You don't sauce chicken before frying.

I broke out my old smokenator waste of money but any how 2 bricks will do the same thing maybe don't even need bricks got Weber grill to 325 placed chicken away from coals took 1 hr and 15 minutes for really good chicken thighs with bite thru skin I never have a problem getting bite thru and crispy skin you need to cook hot and fast low and slow don't work for me

I put the sauce on about 15 minutes before I took them off.

If it were me, I'd try a cook without any sauce, to see what I was dealing with. If the skin was where I wanted it, I'd serve sauce on the side. Otherwise, I'd work with it sauceless until I got what I wanted, skin wise.
I don't sauce. All I do with chicken parts is pull the skin back, apply the rub, and pull the skin back over the meat. I really don't care one way or the other, but I end up with bite-through skin, if the kettle temperature is high enough. I usually have bite through skin even after freezing it.

Ok thanks I'll try next sauce next time and take it to 375 thanks for the help

DADSR4 wrote a basic idea. I don't sauce at home - there is no need with a good rub and technique. Start simply.

ddsr4 -
If it were me, I'd try a cook without any sauce, to see what I was dealing with. If the skin was where I wanted it, I'd serve sauce on the side. Otherwise, I'd work with it sauceless until I got what I wanted, skin wise.
I don't sauce.

Remove the skin and filet the excess fat from the underside of the skin. It very tidious and can be difficult not to tear but the skin will be easier to bite through. Do your best to place the skin back on. Smoke at 300+ and sauce the last 10 minutes.

I rinse the chicken the night before and pat dry. Then I store in the refrigerator overnight. When I'm ready for the cook, I heat soak my Komodo Kamado for a couple of hours at 375-400. I rub grapeseed oil lightly on the chicken and put on the rub. Then the cold chicken goes on the grate for about 60 minutes or so, until the thigh measures 165°. This always gives good bite-through skin. I also forget about BBQ sauce. All it does is screw up a great chicken cook. If my guests want sauce, they can add it to their portion at the table.

You don't have to cupcake the thigh skin to make it bite through. Leave that for the comp guys. Get the chicken mostly cooked indirect, then crisp the skin, then sauce and finish on the heat, turning often. The skin will soften a bit but will be bite through.
I like sauced, non-sauced, rubbed or just seasoned. Love the stickiness of sauced wings, legs or thighs.

I trimmed the fat off the back side. I'll try it next time without sauce and just go from there. Get the kettle to 350-375 and try that. Thanks for the help.

So kinda like a reverse Sear
You Got IT, but on my tiny Smokey Joe, it's 4 thighs, and
I let it run all the way off heat. Perfect.
On a bigger grill, yes, you want to hit the skin with heat
if you want crisp.
Could actually use a torch. Just sayin'.

Back