Smoker questions from a newbie

cornemuse

Reaction score
I found this site while looking for info to make an offset smoker.

Someone here had/has a tiny mini one, I think. (I cannot find the link-made from 'firemans' tank?)

Found this site: "My Mini Reverse Flow Smoker" but pics not displaying, , , , not sure if this is it.

Anyway,I dont want to make one too small, though it'll be just for myself.

First (for now) question:

I've noticed the fireboxs are attached directly to the smokers, can one have a short pipe, (or whatever, square-rectangle-etc) between firebox & smoker?

[4"±, between the two] [I have my reasons!]

Making it from 2 propane tanks, both old & heavy Manchester tanks made in USA, and really heavy (manufactured in early 1970's for motorhomes?)

Anyway, glad to be here.

-corne-

You could have a transfer Tube but it size needs to be equal or greater than the hole should be. May need dual 4" tubes or dual 6" or a single 10" or ? Airflow n draft are Most important.

You could have a transfer Tube but it size needs to be equal or greater than the hole should be. May need dual 4" tubes or dual 6" or a single 10" or ? Airflow n draft are Most important.

Like in² area (or more) of smokestack/chimney? Makes sense, , ,

Jez askin' before I start cuttin', , ,

Thanks, -c-

Last edited:
You don't know it but you may have stumbled into the bbq version of the Library of Alexandria. Just about any question you might ask- someone here (maybe lots of somebodies) will have your answer. There are other sites who "do bbq"- but nothing like this place. Finest folk in the world- bar none.

Good luck on your offset build. Hit us with more details if you would- whether you need help or not. A "build" thread is always welcome around here.

I think Smitty was referring to the "throat size" (the suggested size of the opening between the firebox and the cooking chamber of a more conventional offset where the 2 are touching- no separated by a transfer tube)

The ratios of intake size, firebox size, cooking chamber size, throat and exhaust dia/length can be determined by use of one of the calculators- like Feldons. Widely available- Google them. (there are some that may pooh pooh the results of said calculator- but it is useful in getting you a starting point)

I think Smitty was referring to the "throat size" (the suggested size of the opening between the firebox and the cooking chamber of a more conventional offset where the 2 are touching- no separated by a transfer tube)

The ratios of intake size, firebox size, cooking chamber size, throat and exhaust dia/length can be determined by use of one of the calculators- like Feldons. Widely available- Google them. (there are some that may pooh pooh the results of said calculator- but it is useful in getting you a starting point)

^^^^This^^^^^ Plus Look at Google Images and get Ideas.......

Back