Feet First

TXBronco

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Welp, I've read a lot on this forum and I am jumping in this coming weekend at a local comp to support the VFW. Got a buddy who has done a few comps. This one is using CTBA rules/guidelines but it's non sanctioned. I am doing the pork. Any tips / tricks would be appreciated.

I don't know CTBA guidelines, but I highly recommend injecting a few hours before your cook. Trim aggressively to separate the money muscle almost all the way (KCBS requires one piece of meat to start, so we can't separate it completely). Turn in slices of MM medallions and pulled chunks. Make sure you're taste testing and only using the pieces that have the best tenderness.

The most important tips a contest virgin can get are - 1) Don't be too full of yourself. 2) Don't be too hard on yourself. 3) Have fun! The rest will come with practice.

use the search feature on this site and you will find all you want know about contests.

Thanks folks. I'm usually just in Q Talk but this past couple weeks I've been digging through the Competition BBQ section. Tons of info and brutal honesty, which is nice to have. I'm trying to remain grounded knowing that I'll be the only one out of 15 cook teams that hasn't done a competition. I can't wait to just talk to the other folks too and learn more. I'm super excited.

The worst thing that can happen to you is getting a call.... It's all down hill from there! :)

Good luck and have fun!

Exactly...

My first ever competition was backyard and I got 2nd in ribs and 3rd in chicken ... as I was walking back the announcer said why don't you just stay up here, and he announced backyard overall champion. Hooked from that point on! It is a lot of fun though.

Good luck Bronco! Let us know how it goes.

Good luck Bronco! Let us know how it goes.

Will do. It's out off McCormick and I27. The Hobbs-Parsons Project. 13700 San Saba I believe if you're interested. I hope to do well but I'm just looking forward to getting my feet wet.

Unsanctioned? Overcook your ribs. :becky:

Really? I'm doing to butt and the brisket. Using Chris Lilly's pork rub and injection. Not sure what to do with the brisket.

Back