THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I still like them though. I used to own a 30x60 w/ upright and trailer. the only reason I sold it, was because i moved to the West coast and burning sticks and storage (at the time) was going to be VERY expensive.

I can't wrap my brain around spending more than 3 Large ($3000) and only get a 3/16" cook chamber. It doesn't make sense. I spent less than that amount and got me DOUBLE the thickness with a 3/8" cook chamber.

I'm not hating on Pitts and Spitts, but that's what always been a barrier to me ever considering them seriously. I think most folks agree 1/4" is just baseline standard for heat retention.

I'll buy 3/16" pit any day but I'm not gonna pay that price for it. I'll buy 1/8" / 11 Guage. Even 14 gauge -- Old Country - - just depends on the pit and the price.

The 304 stainless steel roll top will look great when you get it home but will never look as good thereafter. Pain in the butt and for what? Give me a 1/4" steel cooking chamber any day. I am sure this might ruffle some feathers but I think Pitts and Spitts is a maker from "yesteryear". There are too many more builders out there today at a lower cost yet better overall design and build quality. Just my opinion.

Interesting,I never knew Jess was well known overseas.
I would hate to price one of those pits here.
Me on the left with Jess and others in St Kilda

BBQFestival1March2013064Medium_zpsaaf8b418.jpg

You could sell a Shirley with her name on it because it's a Shirley. I can't see her name selling THAT pit tho'. (disclaimer: however- people with money do some strange stuff- so maybe)

The 304 stainless steel roll top will look great when you get it home but will never look as good thereafter. Pain in the butt and for what? Give me a 1/4" steel cooking chamber any day. I am sure this might ruffle some feathers but I think Pitts and Spitts is a maker from "yesteryear". There are too many more builders out there today at a lower cost yet better overall design and build quality. Just my opinion.

I'm with Springram on this one. I know they've made a name for themselves since the 90s but I feel like the wooden handles are dated. Another indirect tell is how many Craigslist ads I see trying to offload their Pitts and Spitts. 3500 can buy a lot of First Class cooker

Back