Advice for a larger catering event

Eric Happy Meal

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So i have been cooking BBQ for a couple years, done a few comps and have catered for small events before. This year i catered for my works christmas party (40 people) and one of the attendees offered me a catering contract for two events (these are yearly events) for roughly 400 people each event. Both will be buffet style where i just need to supply the food and walk away. Not sure on how many Meats/sides they are looking for at this time. I dont want to get into too much detail, but there is a strong possibility for more of these events to come up (same size) as well.

Now, I've never done anything this big before, so here is what i know that ill need:

Business License
Health Department certification
Commercial Kitchen
New smoker (currently have a YS640)
food transportation (cambros?)

Health dept/license/kitchen i should be able to take care of myself, but what im really curious about is what i should look for in a new smoker (FEC), and what about food transportation? I know that eventually (maybe now?) i will need a trailer with power/sink etc.

whats everyones thoughts/advice on this?

Are you looking to get all the meat done at one time for the event? If you are, look for something that will hold at least 35 butts. That is if it is a one meat buffet. What kind of space do you have for a smoker? Those are the questions I would answer first.

i would prefer to do it all at once, as im not really a fan of cooking then reheating. now if it is something like 2 meats then i would plan on finishing the large meats early and having an empty smoker to use for chicken while the other meats are storing.

as for storage, i have plenty of room for one.

I have 2 Viking gravity fed smokers that will work out nice for that.

So i have been cooking BBQ for a couple years, done a few comps and have catered for small events before. This year i catered for my works christmas party (40 people) and one of the attendees offered me a catering contract for two events (these are yearly events) for roughly 400 people each event. Both will be buffet style where i just need to supply the food and walk away. Not sure on how many Meats/sides they are looking for at this time. I dont want to get into too much detail, but there is a strong possibility for more of these events to come up (same size) as well.

Now, I've never done anything this big before, so here is what i know that ill need:

Business License
Health Department certification
Commercial Kitchen
New smoker (currently have a YS640)
food transportation (cambros?)

Health dept/license/kitchen i should be able to take care of myself, but what im really curious about is what i should look for in a new smoker (FEC), and what about food transportation? I know that eventually (maybe now?) i will need a trailer with power/sink etc.

whats everyones thoughts/advice on this?

I have 2 Viking 36 inch gravity smokers that will be perfect to for that

Pyle is correct just on the pork, about 35 butts. Each butt will fit in 1 half tin so you need storage for 35 half tins just for the pork. For me I would have all the buttts done ahead, as it takes time to prep that many butts then get the rest of food ready. When you are doing that many for me I have to reheat since I run with very little or no staff. Properly done reheated pork there is no drop off in quality. If you dont have cambros an igloo cooler will work with card board dividers to hold the pork for hours. or if you wanted to pull on site, I place the butts in garbage bags inside the igloo cool;ers, then once trayed go into the cambros. For me I prefer southern pride or ol hickory for a cooker. The southern pride will run the same if you just want to use wood or turn on the propane for assist, which is nice for me when busy however for maximum flavor for butts or brisket I just run with wood.

Pyle is correct just on the pork, about 35 butts. Each butt will fit in 1 half tin so you need storage for 35 half tins just for the pork. For me I would have all the buttts done ahead, as it takes time to prep that many butts then get the rest of food ready. When you are doing that many for me I have to reheat since I run with very little or no staff. Properly done reheated pork there is no drop off in quality. If you dont have cambros an igloo cooler will work with card board dividers to hold the pork for hours. or if you wanted to pull on site, I place the butts in garbage bags inside the igloo cool;ers, then once trayed go into the cambros. For me I prefer southern pride or ol hickory for a cooker. The southern pride will run the same if you just want to use wood or turn on the propane for assist, which is nice for me when busy however for maximum flavor for butts or brisket I just run with wood.
I'm guessing it will be at least two meats (pork/chicken) with a good possibility of a third meat. I have one cambro 400, so I would definitely need quite a few more just for meat and sides.

400 portions, cooked fresh, pulled that day? How many helpers do you have? Even if you can pull a butt in 10 minutes, which would be a great rate, you are looking at 3 hours minimum of pulling and panning.

To do a fresh cook, I think you need a 500 pound capacity smoker to pull off what you are wanting to do. FEC makes one, as do a few other manufacturers.

I would recommend doing some deep thinking on if this is the route you want to go. What you mention above, you going to spend thousands of dollars if not over $10K by the time you buy a big smoker and a trailer. Scaling up from 40 to 400 people is a big change. Also, since your currently using a pellet smoker, everything is going to change when you go to a new smoker. When you scale up and keep the quality then you definitely have something. If your excited about giving it a go but not sure about the money commitment, you might look around for renting a smoker. I have seen them in my area on craigslist for rent.

We have a Southern Pride SPK-700 on a trailer, that's the only way I'd consider it.

I have cooked for 400 - 500 at one party and have served all in 2 buffet lines from start to finish moved the people through in 25 minutes and here is my time line:
I cook 200 # of butts for 20 trays of pulled the day before, 20 trays ready and sauced
prep 12 trays of mac n cheese day before
prep 12 trays of baked beans day before
serve lunch at 12 noon so at 6am I leave for site and pick up 2 helpers
stop and pick up 200 halves of chicken
7 am arrive on site
set cooker up at 250 to heat mac-beans and pork
at 10am start unload into cambros
at 10 start loading and spice rub on chicken 1/2s
10 30 start cooker back up at 325
11:30 make 450 sandwiches and place on serving line in chaffe dishes
11:30 remove chicken and slice into qtrs. set up line
1145 set up line for mac / beans
noon eat
12 30 strip line / consolidate left overs
1: 00 pick all up and clean cambros and ultensals , say thank you to the southern pride
2:00 pick up check

I have cooked for 400 - 500 at one party and have served all in 2 buffet lines from start to finish moved the people through in 25 minutes and here is my time line:
I cook 200 # of butts for 20 trays of pulled the day before, 20 trays ready and sauced
prep 12 trays of mac n cheese day before
prep 12 trays of baked beans day before
serve lunch at 12 noon so at 6am I leave for site and pick up 2 helpers
stop and pick up 200 halves of chicken
7 am arrive on site
set cooker up at 250 to heat mac-beans and pork
at 10am start unload into cambros
at 10 start loading and spice rub on chicken 1/2s
10 30 start cooker back up at 325
11:30 make 450 sandwiches and place on serving line in chaffe dishes
11:30 remove chicken and slice into qtrs. set up line
1145 set up line for mac / beans
noon eat
12 30 strip line / consolidate left overs
1: 00 pick all up and clean cambros and ultensals , say thank you to the southern pride
2:00 pick up check

When did you reheat the pork?

Tons of work, it can be done but you will need a large operation. I don't want to discourage you but without experience that is more than one could take on without help and or buying a lot of equipment. You will need tons of cold storage prior to cooking. Hold holding for once meats are cooked. A great plan for preparing side dishes and enough cooking capacity for sides. Just things to consider, good luck!!

By the time you buy everything for these events, and then cater them, I dont see any money left when you're done. Not to mention the time it takes to get your licensing and inspections done. When are these events? Its much easier to start small and work your way up buying a few things here and there to accommodate the event, rather than spending tons of cash up front and hoping that it takes off.

Back