'Que in Lafayette, IN?

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Am here for a few days and just stumbled onto South Street Smokehouse.. Looks like another Brother asked about the place back in 2012, but nobody responded.

Anyone been by or tried their grub?

Am also open to suggestions or recommendations in the area.

If no words, I'll rub a couple of brain cells together and put some thoughts out there for folks.

Thanks, Titch.

I hit up all the major review sites... Yelp, Zomato, TripAdvisor... even paid them a quick in-person visit yesterday after we had Greek for lunch (just in front of their brick and mortar location).

The place looks small, clean, and popular. Their Old Hickory pit in the kitchen sure was kept hoppin' as the staff served lots of grub at lunch time.

Let us know if you decide to try the place, Shadow. It's always nice to get a qualified review.

Cheers, Tish.

Just finished up a spot of lunch from the South Street Smokehouse. Needed to make this take-away (aka "to-go").

Wanted a good sampling of their offerings, so we grabbed a 3 Meat Dinner with Brisket, Pulled Pork, and Chicken - Collard Greens and Mac & Cheese as the sides. Had several to feed, so we grabbed an additional 2 Meat Dinner with some more Brisket and Pulled Pork - Collard Greens and Cornbread. I noticed 3 large jugs of sauce on the counter, so I filled up 3 plastic cups... one of each: Original, Tangy & Sweet, and Hot.

Chatted with one of the line servers while they took care of a couple other orders. Their Ole Hickory Smoker usually runs with hickory, but they'll occasionally use apple for a pork loin. The place seems very popular with locals, as we wouldn't have been able to sit down in the 20-30 seats.

Rather a nice spread of food when we got it all out. Very reasonable portion sizes for the price.

Meats:
Brisket - Had read good things about their brisket on TripAdvisor or some such place. Appeared brown with some sort of bark formation. Was cooked 'till tender, but I think it went "over the top" while in holding... loosing much of the moisture content. Sadly, I didn't get much rub or spice from the bark, and just some general smoke flavor from the meat.

Pulled Chicken - Didn't expect the chicken to be pulled, to be honest. Was in little bits... closer to chopped. Rather dry meat (mainly white meat) with a sweeter finishing sauce that didn't do much for the flavor. Not much smoke flavor or spice rub to be had.

Pulled Pork - Retained moisture much better than the chicken. Finishing sauce had a bit more pepper and perhaps some other spices... gave better flavor. Still no bark or discernible smoke ring.

Sides:
Collard Greens - Nicely made. Little vinegar twang to 'em. Some ham hock or some such would've been a nice surprise.
Mac & Cheese - Appeared to be industrial... more food service style. FIL liked it.
Cornbread - Just about the star of the show. Very tasty stuff with bits of corn kernel baked in. Good texture and flavor.

Sauces: Very tomato-based stuff.
Mild / Original - Little bit of vinegar twang. Some sweetness and some spices. "Mild" is a good word for it.
"Tangy & Sweet" (or something like that) - This was our favorite. A great deal more interesting stuff going on here. More spices (heavy on the black pepper). Bit thinner than Mild... not sure where they got the sweet part of the description.
Hot - Can't exactly call this spicy by any stretch. Tastes like they just took the Mild and threw in some red pepper flakes or some cayenne.

Bottom Line:
I was excited to find this place and to read the reviews online. I really wanted to enjoy this meal. We sure didn't have all of the offerings on the menu. Their ribs (Tips, St. Louis Spares, and Baby Backs all on offer) look like a viable option.

I'm not sure I could recommend that this place to the rest of you, which pains me. I'd like to think that they just had "an off day."

Sorry I missed this earlier..

Dang, that's too bad. You definitely caught them on an off day. My folks live in Lafayette and I frequent that place when I'm there. Not a huge fan of the Pulled pork but the Mrs likes it. Never tried the chicken. Brisket, ribs, turkey, and tips are all good. Killer onion rings. I will usually ask them for some point and extra bark and they load me up. I can't say I'm ever completely satisfied with restaurant BBQ, but I always found them to be well above average.

How long are you in town for? You had lunch at Akropolis next door? I wish I could give you a long list of good restaurants in town, but sadly, the list is pretty short. Its the land of chain food.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this earlier..

No worries, Shaggy. Glad I gave the place a try. Sorry that it wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Brisket, ribs, turkey, and tips are all good. Killer onion rings. I will usually ask them for some point and extra bark and they load me up. I can't say I'm ever completely satisfied with restaurant BBQ, but I always found them to be well above average.

I didn't try anything fried, but I'm a sucker for onion rings, anyhow. Glad to hear that another brother's been here and can confirm that South Street Smokehouse just had a bad day.

How long are you in town for? You had lunch at Akropolis next door? I wish I could give you a long list of good restaurants in town, but sadly, the list is pretty short. Its the land of chain food.

Actually, we had lunch at the Akropolis on Monday and happened to see the Smokehouse across the parking lot. My FIL and I walked over to have a peek at the menu and see if we might visit them on another day.

Just departed Lafayette last evening. Only in town to pick up some "Precious Cargo" at St. Elizabeth's.

That's great brother! Congrats! If you're ever back that way, give a holler. It's only a 3 hour drive, and I can always use an excuse to visit my folks. Have a safe trip home

Back