Duke City Trisket Shenanigans - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Mornin', folks!

Started the day watching a whole squadron of hot air balloons lifting off before the sun topped the Sandias.

07g5k8Hl.jpg

8gce2iYl.jpg

It's going to be rather nice today at 71F, but do you see what's forecasted for Tues Night - Weds!? :shock: :crazy: :roll:

H1EhyRUm.jpg

I've never tried a trisket before... Only tried a traditional tritip once or twice.

Here goes nothing. Using Adkins, my go-to brisket rub. Couldn't find any prime grade tritip at Costco, so here's some choice grade. Quite lean vs. brisket, so am concerned about her getting dry.

YookcHrl.jpg

This one has a bit of fat on the back, so that'll help a bit.

vtfdq1el.jpg

SnS warming up in the 26er. Hickory for smoke with mesquite lump from El Super Meximart.

Thoughts / suggestions / other words of wisdom on my first trisket attempt are welcomed and appreciated.

More to follow.

Put the tritip on to cook. No, it's not over the coals... that's just some partially consumed charcoal from my last Vortex cook. SnS is over on the other side of the kettle.

SW5PVkel.jpg

Got the boiling water in the SnS, and she's running around 250.

MUST wrap it or it WILL dry out... usual timing for wrap (stall/color). Usual probe tender for done. Does NOT tolerate longer rests as well as brisket without the mass so if you finish early recommend an ‘active’ rest in oven around 185 or so. Same for pre slice waiting I counter... 10-15 mins in my experience or it looses too much heat.

Love trisket.... hmmmmmmm

Awesome stuff, Wookiee! That's just what I needed. In that case, I might have started a little early? We'll see how it plays out.

@225-250 mine usually take 5.5-6hra on the pellet but I think choice usually takes a little longer than prime... let it roll and just know active oven can buffer on the backend if needed. Also worth noting if it takes longer than expected I find can slice 20-30 minutes after coming off the cooker (again, as opposed to far longer brisket times)

Hmmmmm

Interested in seeing how this goes! I've cooked many a tri-tip, but just in the "normal" way, so this is intriguing.

2 hours in, almost on the dot.

160F and really nice color came together.

cUS1hysl.jpg

Wrapped tightly (in foil, as I don't have any butcher paper handy), and back on until I start probing.

Whatcha' think, 200F to start checking?

No photo for this one (looks VERY much like the one above), but she probed tender just now with an IT of about 205. Just a little drag like an avocado.

She's going in the oven to hold about 180 until we eat.

It's been 5 hours, almost to the minute.

More to come. Thanks for the help and your patience!

But wait! There's more!

The Munchkin learned how to grate cheese today... and helped CINCHOUSE prepare rigatoni & cheese (we are apparently out of macaroni) that's on to smoke for dinner.

SpRLinll.jpg

tOE26Dyl.jpg

We've learned to NOT completely cover the top with cheese if we want the smoke to actually penetrate into the rest of the dish.

dePZLZwl.jpg

Very nice, Marc. If she grows any more, she will be in charge of the grill while you create some new libations. Your day is perfect by any standards!!

If she grows any more, she will be in charge of the grill while you create some new libations. Your day is perfect by any standards!!

Point of order. She's standing on her step stool that gives her a 6 inch lift. Kid's tall already, and we should probably throttle back on the nightly Miracle Grow application on her feet at night (completely in jest).

Today really has been amazing. Kinda wish I didn't have to go back to work tomorrow, but it wouldn't be the same...

Smoked the pasta for about... 45ish minutes somewhere around 275-300F.

bVmQZdTl.jpg

Holy smoke ring, Batman.

b89qu38l.jpg

Had planned a broccoli salad that didn't materialize.... but it was all still delicious.

gDGQd9Nl.jpg

Verdict from the Jury? - WIN! Munchkin cleaned her plate. CINCHOUSE had me deliver seconds to her during a Zoom meeting in her office. We have 2/3 a pan of "smoked mac & cheese" and about 1/3 of a tri-tip left for later.

Trisket was tender, moist, and had nice beefy flavor. Smoked Rigatoni & Cheese was creamy and smokey!

Thanks for coming along for the ride and for the very helpful words of wisdom and vector checks.

Y'all have a great week! Please stay safe.

Back